Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1967 torq thrust wheel and tire fittment

bigd42770

Corvette
1967 327 coupe
Iown a 67 327 coupe that has been sitting dormant for 35 years!! Iwant to put torq thrust wheels and larger than stock tires.I want to run 15 inch wheels but do i have to run 6 inch wide to alleviate any rubbing issues?What exactly are my options to get the largest wheel and tire combo under this garage hidden masterpiece of american 60"s technology? I will not make any modifications to this car just for wheels and tires!!! If you have the correct recipe for this dilemma please reply.Pictures encouraged!!

I went with 17x7 TT2 and 225/50x17 tires, no clearance issues

Back in the day, we used TORQUE THRUST "D" as they had the rear offset clearance for the disc brake caliper. Todays new American Repo's have no problem, but ask and make sure they fit the caliper.

15x 7 inch wheels will fit, but it is the tire 'width' that rub, especially when entering a driveway with the wheels turned. Many fenders were broken in the old days, that is why you see buyers at swap meets feeling the fender lips.

A 225 x 60 x 15 or comp size tire should have no problem. Best thing, is to go to "TIRE RACK ", or any online service where they show the tire dimensions, and compare it to OE size.

The tire from back in the day that worked with no issues was a 195/75x15 Mitchlin. It was abour 28 inches tall, and 5 inches wide, and they wore like iron, and being an early radial design, had decent handling quality. Zora Duntov did not like the radial, as he respected the tire, but also said it did not 'feel good', and broke away without warning when pushed to the limit.

When Goodyear came out with belted fiberglass tires in late 1968, everyone had to had them. They were about 27 inches tall and 6 inch wide, and rubbed fenders. An E70 X 15 was about the limit, but you had to shave the wheel lips and be extreamly careful entering the drive ways only 'straight' ahead after a wide entry.

In the 80's, 60 series tires came out, and we finally could put one of those on for great performance and handling.

I am only going from memory here, so you have to give the whole equation some thought. As I remember, a 225 x 60 x 15 is only about 23 to 24 inches tall, and changes your ride height considerably, and your RPM at a given true speed. Your road clearance now is two inches closer to the road and speedometer reading will change drastically as well.

The charts today give you the height and width of a complete "tire and wheel assembly " where you can compare 15 , 16, and 17 inch wheels and tire combinations. They all work, but you need to 'read' up on what is best for your applications. This subject may have been addressed here and other forums. The internet has given us great info source at the click of a button.

I own a '66 with a 327 and recently put Torq Thrust D's all around in 15x6. The tire size I used was a 215/65x15 as I too was concerned about the tire rubbing the inside of the front fender when turning. I'm not familiar with the brake calipers on a '67 so don't know if they're the same as on my '66 but if they are you're going to have to order the Torq Thrust D's for caliper clearance.

Be VERY cautious about wheel/tire fitment on any midyear - they're extremely intolerant of 15" rims wider than 6" with different offset/backspacing than stock; the cars were designed in 1961 around 6.70-15 tires on 5-1/2" rims.

Wider rims/fatter tires will frequently result in rubbing on the outboard side on the wheel opening flanges, which can break fiberglass, and on the inboard side, they can rub on the rear parking brake cables and brackets on the outboard side of the trailing arms.

Don't buy any wheels/tires until you've tried them on the car and verified running clearances, or have verification from someone else running EXACTLY the same combination that they don't rub. $10K+ for fiberglass repairs and paint can be a VERY expen$ive lesson.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom