Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1968 Corvette problems/issues?

SSJShadow

Hi there, I'm looking at buying a 1968 Corvette from a friend here in my home town, and basically I was wondering what kind of problems may have been apparent in that year? Body/frame wise or anything else. Right now the cars interior is in peices just waiting to be re-assembled, it was in the middle of a resotration until the owner passed away. If you could help me with any info I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance

I do know that a few of the parts only fit the 68 and not other years. I almost bought a 68 vert, but the owner could not come up with the title. I wish I could of bought that car! good luck with your car.

Buy a assembly manual to help putting it back together, If you don't know where to buy parts let us know. We can steer you to companies to hlp you.

Way back when, a friend had a 68 vert 327/350, if my memory serves me right, the headlights were problematic. I would't consider that a reason not to buy one, every year has it's ghosts.

SSJShadow,

As noted many parts were made only for the 68 year isn't interchangable with other C3's, door handles are one, the vacuum system that opens/closes the headlights and wiper blades did have some issues, but with replacement canisters, lines, etc. you should not have any problems.

Thanks for the replies, with any luck I'll hear if I get the car today.. I plan on buying the manuel etc to reassemble it. It was in the middle of being restored so I need to do the entire interior inlcuding putting the dash back together. It looks like all the peices are there, but then again you can only know for sure once you get to the part where you are missing something ahahaha. Well if I get it, I plan on posting asap about the car and some pictures. Thanks again

I own a '68 convertible and wouldn't give her up for the world. There are no problems with these cars which are not typical of all C3s. There were several running changes made during the model year, but nothing extreme with the exception of headlight door sizes for the very early '68s. There are a plethora of one-year-only parts on these cars, a good many of which are not being reproduced.

My advice is to ensure your potential '68 is as complete as possible before you purchase her.

Very, very good advice concerning the AIM. Get one and keep it handy.
;)

I would have to challenge Mike on the statement that 'no problems with these cars which are not typical of all C3s'. The 68 was the first run of the C3 and was dubbed the 'bastard year' and for good cause. Having now completed my 68 restoration, I can say that there were a LOT of problems, but nothing that extra money couldn't take care of. Oh, did I just say money... I meant a LOT of extra money. Some of the parts are getting hard to find and some aren't even being reproduced due to lack of tooling. When you tell a sales person you need parts for a 68, I swear you can see $ signs in their eyes! hehe! I probably spent near double the amount of money on the 68 restoration as opposed to any other year C3.
Don't get me wrong... I LOVE my 68, but I will NEVER own another. If/when I do it again, I will settle for a 69 being that all the bugs were worked out by that time.

Thanks for the replies, with any luck I'll hear if I get the car today... Well if I get it, I plan on posting asap about the car and some pictures. Thanks again

So... did you get the '68?

So... did you get the '68?

Well I was hopeing to know, but a few other people are getting to look at it, so I am now nervous as all heck hahaha. I should know soon I hope, but with any luck I'll be probably the most excited person in all of Calgary here when I get it!

:(

Well I've finally heard..... I didn't get the vette :( which is quite depressing, I guess my search for a 68-72 C3 continues... I will be posting a WTB thread in the forums soon, I live in the Calgary, Alberta area. Thanks to all those who posted in this thread with the info :)

I'll stand by my statement. With the exception of one year only parts, you won't find any problems on '68s which won't be found on other C3s.

You won't find computer problems; you won't have to replace a catcon; you won't have rubber bumper problems; you won't have any trouble changing an ignition cylinder, and won't have to fiddle with tilt wheel problems.

As for Bubba, well, he's been everywhere.
:)

I was looking to possibly purchase a '68 also, until a coworker told me to avoid the '68, and this guy knows what he's talking about. He said get the '69 or up. A friend of his had a '68 with lots of problems. I ended up buying a 1970.

I'll stand by my statement. With the exception of one year only parts, you won't find any problems on '68s which won't be found on other C3s.

You won't find computer problems; you won't have to replace a catcon; you won't have rubber bumper problems; you won't have any trouble changing an ignition cylinder, and won't have to fiddle with tilt wheel problems.

As for Bubba, well, he's been everywhere.
:)

:grinshot

I agree and I have had one since new. Any one of them and I mean any particular year, nearly 99% of Vettes has gone through more than 1 or 2 owners with ideas on how to improve what GM did a great job with. Most of the time with very poor results. Nothing wrong with 68`s, in fact they are unique as not a killer fish. You should have owned a 63 when new, same objections came up. Now look what they are worth.

Hi

I own a very early 68 since 2000 and love it. No issues except the one year only parts, which are either expensive or not available. But most later year parts can be used, just not original anymore.
I love this 68 so much that I bought an other one last summer. Unfortunatley, I sold this one again due to space limitations and it being a auto car. Found this not to match my driving ideas.
My first 68 is a non numbers matching big block, originally had a M21 close ratio ( still with me ) , but since a couple of years, has a GM Viper T56 6 speed installed. The one I sold was a late 68 auto big block numbers matching L36. Both convertibles.

There are no issues to 68 that other C3 don't have. It's just the mystic roumor that the 68 was brought out on the market with typical child thicknesses. A car that survived 40 years can not have issues.

Günther

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom