Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1968 Tail Light problems

trowrick8

Corvette
1968 convertible L79
In my 1968 convertible the brake lights work but the tail lights will not turn on (when I turn the headlights on). Also the turn signal has just stopped working. The light for the turn signal in the dash engages but no signal is sent to the lights. I replaced the flashers and bulbs to no avail. Are these related? Can anyone help? Thank you.

I would try disconnecting the "harmonica" connector at the bottom of your steering column above the pedals. It's a long, electrical plug that connects your turn signal switch to the cars' main harness.

Clean up the connection, wiggle it around, plug it back together and see if that fixes the problem..

Is everything up in the front parking lights working correctly?

If the harmonica is a curved connection I found it, disconnected it. It looks clean on both sides with no corrosion but it did not correct the problem. The parking lights are not working as you mentioned. Is there a ground wire I should look for? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Could be a bad turn signal switch. Check a wiring diagram to see if your tail light functions are routed thru the turn switch.

Do you have the correct bulbs in the tail lights?
Are the bulbs correctly installed in the sockets?
Have you checked the fuse?

:)

Yes, new bulbs all around. Fuses are newly replaced as well. All were working fine until a couple days ago. When I press the brake pedal the brake lights come on nice and bright. When I turn the headlights on there are no tail lights. I checked the wiring diagram as was suggested and it appears that the taillights do go through the turn signal switch. Since both tail lights and turn signals are not functioning I guess I'll look into replacing the turn signal switch. Thanks

Before you replace the turn signal switch, clean the ground for the rear wiring harness and make sure you're getting a good ground on the frame.

:)

Thanks for the input. I have replaced the turn signal switch and have gone through the wiring harness in the rear chassis and it appears to be without any exposed wires or corroded connections and still have no turn signals. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Time to stop replacing parts, get out your test light and trace down an open circuit you have somewhere in the harness before the parking lights and taillights split.

Sounds like a bad ground, try running a jumper from a good ground and touch the other end of that ground wire to the brass part of the bulb and see if that does it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom