Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1969 427 emission equipment

henny496

Corvette
1963 Corvette coupe(pro street)
Hello
I have a 63 with a 69 427 engine in it. There are new laws up here now(MTO) and although the car is 63, they can go by the year of the engine for emisions

I know little of emission equipment , but doing some Google searches it looks like a pcv and perhaps an AIR pump is required
Did 69's come with an AIR pump to Canada?? any other emission devices on the 69 427?

Apparently they don't ask you to do an emission test, just want it that you have the emission equipment on your car. I just want to do things ahead of time to avoid hassles
thanks
Tom

Although there were no big block Corvettes in '63, how would the smog cops know that your engine is a '69 and not a '65? Smog equipment on cars in Canada was the same as the 49 state US equivalent.

Thanks for your reply. The MTO is running the numbers from the block and going by that

I know of guys being charged for various offences, such as one fellow with a 40's truck and 350 , Charged with no pcv valve when it came with a vent tube

Thanks anyway, but I will find out what I originally asked on another forum

I know of guys being charged for various offences, such as one fellow with a 40's truck and 350 , Charged with no pcv valve when it came with a vent tube

Thanks anyway, but I will find out what I originally asked on another forum

The law may (incorrectly) be applied to me also- could you give me a link to the other site please? My understanding of the law, confirmed by members of the Ottawa club who have had 'personal experience' with road side inspections, is that casting numbers and dates are not checked. If the car falls under the category of hot rod as yours might, then the pollution requirements of the engine type installed would apply. Big Block Chev engines first appeared in 1965- yours would need to meet that standard and no more.

As a direct answer to your question, '69 Corvettes with BB engines in Canada had an AIR system as well as PCV. No EGR, no TSC, no cats.

I am a tad fired up with all of this and do not believe mine should have to use emission equipment than was on a 63.....but

A lot of this came about last summer and even though I signed petitions I had thought it pertained to late model engines in Model T's as an example...
I haveheard more stories since
for eg The guy with the 40's truck, draft tube and 350 is from before this all started. It was at a sting operation when guys went to the track. I have seen the MTO wait on Kohler road out front of the track to nail guys coming in.....then they wonder why guys street race(not me with this car)
Lindsay was a bad spot last year and even many know this area to be one to avoid

I have to apologize for being angry earlier, but I am tired of it. I have done my best to try to follow the law as to building a car such as mine.
. When I started the project in early 2000;s I even contacted the MTO. It took a while but eventually had direct correspondence with the senior enquiry analyst . She immediately went into the perils of street racing once tubs and a cage were mentioned. You don't race on the street and after a few e mails, she admitted she did not know what to say and forwarded my question to the Vehicle Stnadards Engineer of the MTO
I finally ended up talking with him on the phone and after all of this, my answer basically was.....a 63 is a nice car, why don't you make it original
After months, I never got a straight answer on anything and it basically comes down to the officers discretion at the time

I see the same terminology and it has raised my concerns again, since I don't know what that means. I thought if I covered my butt in all different areas it would be the safest bet, but perhaps I am just too wound up
I called the MOT and later the MOE and as you said, they are saying my car is excempt. I just don't like the bit about the officers discretion when you are on the side of the road
The flames will be gone before the car is on the road. It is just too much.......I will get enough attention, no need to be on fire as an added attraction
thanks again for your help
Tom

Interesting and very confusing topic. I think the guvvamint is being a bit naive in how the regulations have been formulated and is wasting a lot of time and energy with very little to gain even if all cars complied 100%.

For curiosities sake, you've said that you've install a '69 427 engine in your '63. May I ask the casting number and date of the block and if you know the type of vehicle it was originally installed in? What info is on the engine stamp pad?

The smog equipment on a '69 light truck was very different than a '69 Corvette. I see nothing in the regs that says it has to meet a particular vehicle, just the 'year of manufacture'

I am running late, but will say this quick
A friend of mine reminded me about a job I did for him. He had an old tilt/n/load truck that was constantly being pulled over by the mto on a weekly basis. The MTO would wait on routes that guys took to the scrap yards
Anyway, when he was pulled over they ran his vehicle vin, then came back and told him it came with a AIR pump and he had to have one. He never had one on it and the MTO told him it did not matter if the pump was mechanical or electric as long as it was pumping air into the exhaust. He got a pump, got me to weld one bung into one tube only on his headers per side and that was all he needed
He said it was more for appearance and I also remember hearing before that the MTO says your emission equipment has to be on the vehicle if so equipped. Even if you don't need an emission test...the stuff has to be on the car
If I put on an AIR pump it would be a generic type and I will run the lines to the header collectors.. I may be getting too paranoid, but I think if it looks like I have tried to comply to the letter of the law or exceeded what I need to do, it will be better for me overall

I do know of a friend who was pulled over in oshawa with an 80's Mustang and the police used a heat gun on his exhaust to see if the cats were empty or not. They sometimes park on the street by Karbelt and wait for guys to leave, then pull them over

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom