Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1969 or 1970 Vette

E

Emperorbrownsuga1

I found a sorta abandoned corvette coupe with a 350/300 engine and 3 spd auto and a/c "least window says a/c" and all the moulding and chrome has been stripped off or missing. Now i know its a 69 or 70 but how do i tell for sure. Plus i found the keys to the car in the gas tank, local told me its been sitting for almost 20 years. Body has no cracks on it or spider web type cracks. I also need to know where the vin number is locate on these cars and where the factory build sheet is located. I am new with corvettes i just recently got into them, so im use to chevy passenger cars. Appreciate the help.

Emperorbrownsuga1

I'm afraid I can't help you with your question but hopefully a more knowledgeable member will be along soon. Good luck with it and Welcome to the CAC!

:w Jane Ann

Factory build sheet is on top of the gas tank. It probably didn't make it through the years. The vin is on top of the dash next to the window. From outside the car look at the dash on the driver's side. It should be a metal strip. The VIN should start with a 1 (country code I believe, US is 1). Easy way to tell a '69 from a '70 is the side "gills", or vents. If they are an "egg crate" design, it is a '70, if there are 4 vertical slits, then it is a '69. Hope this helps!

-Tatortot

Welcome to the CAC.

Everything you need to know can be found in the Model Center section of this site. The 1969 and 1970 Corvettes looked different as '70 was the year they added wheel flares and changed the side vents to egg crate.

The vin plate is attached to the inner vertical surface of the left-hand windshield pillar and is visible through the windshield. Look for rust in the pillar area on these cars.

Tom

Welcome to the CAC!

Question: How did you know to look IN the gastank for the keys?

:w
-Stefan

Haa with the gas tank question, it was just dumb luck finding them in the tank. I think the car is hot if the vin is in the normal position on a car, its not on this one glass between the dash. Plus last inspection was 1981. I want to get it for a project car to add to my current two and to give this one to my 9 year old. I have soem relatives in Summersville, MO asking around to see who it is.

VIN tag is actually on the windshield PILLAR going up from the dash.....it should be approximatley 3 inches up the pillar from the dash running parallel with the pillar......

Good luck...sounds like a great find!

Easiest way to tell is look at the gills. If there's 4 louvers molded into the body, it's a '69. A single mesh-like gill, it's a '70.

The differences between a 69 and 70 are simple, as I just described. However, the difference between a 68 to 69 and a 70 to 72 are a bit trickier.

68 -> 69, check the door release mechanism. In 68 they had a push button to open the door. In 69 the button went away and the release mechanism was integrated into the 'ashtray' handle (as I call it).

70 -> 72, the differences are even harder. I think the taillights lenses and minor dash changes are the easiest ways to spot the differences.

PS - Welcome to the CAC!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom