Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1972 Convertible worth buying?

GEH737

Corvette
2004 Blue Convertible
I know this is an open ended question - but I thought I'd ask those with more experience. I've had 4 Corvettes ('69 Convertible, 90 Coupe, '95 Convertible and currently a 2004 CE Convertible). I know a guy who has a '72 Convertible, in decent shape - it originally had a 454 with factory A/C and was painted green. Unfortunately, the engine was replaced with a 350 and the A/C is gone as well. The car is a 4 speed. I could probably get it for around 15K. Would it be worth trying to find another 454 / AC for the car? Would the value really ever increase that much since it's no longer original. I know it would be a cool "driver" - but I'd be more interested if it had some investment potential as well. I know a lot of this is very subjective, but I'd appreciate your thoughts, and what you feel the value of the car might be. Thanks in advance,

George,
Cocoa Beach, FL

A '72 that is now NOM (and will always be NOM no matter what you put under the hood) and is missing the AC system is probably not worth 15K. Spending money to bring it back to it's former glory is throwing good money after bad, if you're trying to justify it as an 'investment'. It will still end up as a NOM car in my mind.

Best maintain the car as a nice driver.

From the pics it looks like a nice car. The chrome bumper C3s are becoming increasingly sought after these days, and especially so the convertibles, and if the conditon is good then I don't think $15k is unreasonable.

I do agree with Mikey, not being a 'numbers matching' car will count against the value. There are many collectors to whom this is important. My judgement though is that you are being asked a fair price. Just think of that summer motoring with the top down, the wind in your hair .....

:cool

I paid 15K for my #'s matching L48, 4 speed, air, both tops, a couple of years ago. It's not a show car, maybe a 10 footer. From what I have seen C3's are starting to go up in price but they need to be correct cars. You can easily put more into a C3 than they are worth. But then Ii only put the top up once last summer, I love the car.

just another opinion, but it wouldn't be impossible to find an original 454 date coded correctly block and parts for that car. not easy necessarily, but certainly not impossible. if the car is in decent condition otherwise, IMHO 15k is not an outragous asking price. it is, after all, a chrome bumper convertible (and the last year of chrome front and rear). if i can assume that most of the a/c setup is still in the car (a/c firewall box, ducting and controls), then piping and a compressor aren't that big a deal. as an owner of a C3, i agree it is very easy to put more into one than it is worth, but a BB vette is still very desirable. i would focus less on the "investment" aspect of the purchase and more on the enjoyment factor. then like the rest of us you will probably make the decision more from the heart than the head. if it fits your heart, the head will just follow right along behind it, LMAO!!

Nice driver . . but the two issues of a color change and a non-original motor drag the value down significantly. Assuming there's no salt-air rust in the crossmembers or birdcage, $9-$11k seems like a more realistic assessment in my view. Paying much more than that with the idea of returning it to original I'd think would put you further upside down than you would want to be.

If the idea is to have a fun weekend driver or club rally car then this one would seem to be on target pending a significant downward price adjustment.

With all due respect - - just my .02.

Regards

it looks like a very nice car. if you are interested in some "sort" of investment there are many REAL cars out there like this one. if you take your time and can spend $ to go and look at a car(s) not located nearby, that would be the best way to buy...but only a REAL car. just my opinion. (i have had top flight original and restored cars, these are more of an "investment") good luck!

j.j.

George,
If you like the car the way it is and have $15,000 disposable income available, by all means buy the car. Buy it bacause you want to drive it and be seen in it, not charge admission to look at it in your garage. If you're in the numbers game, like 'matching' or 'value increasing' don't put all your cash into it. Bottom line is if you don't buy it someone else will. Your first three replies give you a lot of information - pro and con. Personally, I think it's a beautiful car and wouldn't change a thing. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Craig

I know the quandry your in. I got a tip on a 69 427 T top last week. It is a must sell situation. The guy tells me over the phone that it is a super nice driver. I go and see it and from 20 feet it's a nice driver. Nom, paint change , over spray everywhere, filler under the wheel wells, cracks in the non original L88 hood, etc, etc. The good part $25k, but will take 22K. I passed. There are too many good ones out there.
YOU CAN'T MAKE A SILK PURSE OUT OF A SOW'S EAR.

jdp6000 said:
This link http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...972/72prod.html

Take a look at it 6500 convertibles. 3000 plus were 454. About 1600 were 4 speed. If the car your looking at had that rare LT1 package it would make it one of less then 20.

Jim

Yup, you're right. The LT1 454 convertibles were pretty rare. ;LOL

If you want to play the statistical extrapolation game, you can prove that just about any Corvette is a one-of-a-kind. Doesn't impress me much.

Mikey,

Whats your point? They guy is trying to figure out if a car is worth buying. The numbers posted are what they are. Some vettes are rarer then others. In time some will be worth more then others. A 72 Vette convertible that had a 454 is going to be rare.

Jim

jdp6000 said:
Mikey,

Whats your point?

The point is that it's not as 'rare' as you're trying to make it out to be. More over, once the original engine is gone, it's gone (along with the value it once may have had.) It's no longer a big block car if there's no big block under the hood, is there?

I once played the stats game with the my car. Just by using the CDN delivery RPO, plus choosing the rarest option on the car, I figure it's one of less than 5 built. That and a dollar won't buy me a coffee at Starbucks.

BTW- There were no LT1 454s. The LT1 is a small block.

Hey... lighten up.... put some tape on it y'all.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom