Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1972 Stingray: Grinding noise in rear end

larryjinpa

Corvette
1972 Blue Stingray Coupe
I have this terrible grinding noise coming from the rear end of my car. I have had numerous things done to it such as: new differential oil, yokes, bearings, brakes, calpiers & U-joints. It only occurs at slow speeds or starting from a dead stop. A couple of people sent me suggestions through another forum, however; I was hoping to get other suggestions. I will then take everything to my mechanic and see what he can do. Thanks.;help

It sounds like your pinion gear to ring gear clearances have increased due to wear on the gears or the bearings inside the differential.
Most initial problems do make more noise at lower speeds than high ones. You may be getting a whine at higher speeds or at certain speeds.
I would suggest getting it shipped out to a company that specializes in Corvette rear end rebuilds like Bairs in Linesville, Pa.
http://www.bairs.com/default.asp

Not everybody can do these jobs in their garages like the pros do it.

It sounds like your pinion gear to ring gear clearances have increased due to wear on the gears or the bearings inside the differential.
Most initial problems do make more noise at lower speeds than high ones. You may be getting a whine at higher speeds or at certain speeds.
I would suggest getting it shipped out to a company that specializes in Corvette rear end rebuilds like Bairs in Linesville, Pa.
Yogi Bair's Parts & Service For Corvettes

Not everybody can do these jobs in their garages like the pros do it.
Let me know if that is what was wrong with the rear Grinding noise. I also have the same problems. My noise only starts after I drive it for 15 minutes, Then when I slow down to 15 mph or less it starts making a grinding noise. I would thank you for telling me if you find the problem,

Thanks twoodsmusiccarter@yahoo.com

Since work was done on the car I would look over that first. The R&P will howl all the time if bad, a bearing may start and stop. If the side yokes were replaced because of endplay and no other work done to the posi you may have some other things going on. check for any sign of rubbing around the rotors, parking brakes, joints. I've repaired a lot of what others screwed up so again look over the recent work. Check the yokes to see if they're hitting the housing.

Since work was done on the car I would look over that first. The R&P will howl all the time if bad, a bearing may start and stop. If the side yokes were replaced because of endplay and no other work done to the posi you may have some other things going on. check for any sign of rubbing around the rotors, parking brakes, joints. I've repaired a lot of what others screwed up so again look over the recent work. Check the yokes to see if they're hitting the housing.
Thanks. Started the process last night. Not finding any rubbing. I just had the Tranny rebuilt also. I told him to make sure he changed the U's in the Drive Shaft. He did not. I jacked the car up and starter the rear tires turning in gear. Followed the sound, The u's are bad, but I still think that is not the sure of the Grinding. But it could be traveling down the shaft and making it sound like it it the rear end. Thanks for the reply. I will let you know if that takes care of it.

I recommend spicer solid joints,both for the 1/2 shaft and drive shaft. Prices run $25-$30 each but are worth it.
Do not run the car in gear with the suspension hanging or you'll bind up the shafts for sure. If you want to do this be sure to have the T/A's are ride height and the shafts are close to parallel to the ground.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom