Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1974 454 for sale...Any info on this one?

Looks like a nice '74, based on the pics. I'm curious why it's running leather upholstery but doesn't have the deluxe interior door panels.

:)

I was also curious on why it has no antenna. Is this an radio delete option or is it because of a body part replacement. Do they usually come with the antenna hole? It seems like it could use some minor interior parts, new brakes and a new oil pan(dented but not leaking). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I like the rims... :D

The VIN is for a big block. I haven't compared any build sheets or anything. It has aftermarket M/T valve covers, distributor, wheels, radio(no external antenna), Shift handle, headers and flowmaster mufflers. Other than that it looks stock. It sounds sweet with the big block and the flowmasters. A lot tougher than my father's 69 350/350hp. What should I look for in my search for the truth? Thanks.

Numbers matching or not...it does sound like a really good price for a big block.

Your father's '69 is probably faster. The '74 was the last year for the big block and the LS4 was only rated at trivial 270hp. The L82 in '74 was rated at 250hp. (Only 20hp with an additional 154 cubes??? :chuckle)

Regardless, they probably aren't asking much because they know it's not original. Engine decor, interior pieces...that all works towards a lower price. And if you aren't concerned about originality, you may have found yourself a very good bargain!

As usual, check the frame for rust that goes beyond the surface and see if there's any leaks under the car. A little oil around the valve covers or back of the engine isn't all that uncommon.

I thought I read 'auto' in word ad but from pics it looks like a 4 gear?:confused
Agreed. Maybe they are referring to the windows. :chuckle

just another opinion

Hi Pappy 72, take a real good look at the photos, although at first glance
this vette looks good, notive all photes are at a angle, and look at these items
no1, looking from drivers side into interrior see the large half inch gap front edge
of interrior door, its the red from the out side. on my car i can not evan see outside colour. no2 the photo from the drivers side on angle you can see that the drivers door is away out of aligment to much gap, especially on drivers edge.
no3. same on passenger side at front edge of door looking from outside , on a close inspection i think you will find that this car has had major body repairs done to one or perhaps both sides. regards wayne.

That was the first thing that I noticed in the pictures when I saw it. When I went to see it in person I found out that the picture from the driver side was like that because the door is not closed all the way. The passenger side has a dent in the metal rock panel under the door and it is putting pressure on the panel in front of the door causing it to stretch the gap between the passenger door and the front right panel. Other than that the hood lines up, the front bumper is straight and the back bumper shows the normal slight warping of the urtehane bumpers. I did not see any signs of frame damage or any shims in the front end. It has been repainted (overspray in the fenders) but it am not sure if it was just because of age. I would hate to pass up a good deal but would also not want to get burned on a totalled out car. What would your suggestions be? There is a pretty reputable Corvette sales dealer down the road. Maybe I will see what they charge to take a look at it. They could also probably help with the numbers on the car.

Wayne / Pappy,
I wouldn't be overly concerned about a repaint or about door jambs that don't line up. I have a hellacious gap top-to-bottom on my doors. I've been told it's simply old door hinges or springs, which are supposed to be easily replaceable. I've never bothered. If you are concerned about the doors, sit in the car with the doors closed and see if the windows go up and down within the seals. If the windows mesh with the seals, then you are OK. If it's a little bit off, that's nothing too major either as the window likely needs to be reindexed. This also isn't uncommon if they've had the seals replaced on doors and around the A-pillars, T-Tops.

Short of any frame damage/rust or major leakage from any components, the car seems pretty good for the price. At the price they are asking, you aren't going to get an EXCELLENT-rated car, nor an all original.
I personally don't care if a car is "numbers matching". Take a look at my car! :L I say "numbers matching" is for people that plan on having a garage-queen, a judged car, or plan on selling the car for a potential profit (which nowadays is a very risky bet.) I'd rather have a healthy running car that's mechanically solid than a numbers matching car that has more than it's fair share of problems. I can tell you with absolutely no hesitation that I'd take my car over a mint condition 'matching numbers' 1980 anyday!

If you'd give the car a 3 out of 5 stars, then I think it's a pretty good deal.

Take it to the shop you mentioned if you trust them, or have an experienced person look at it. Pay them whatever reasonable fee they ask - even a couple hundred bucks.

You don't want a screwed up car, no matter how cheap.

The 74 look fine to me, but I'm only looking a pics. I don't see anything I would not expect to see on a 33 year old Corvette.

...I personally don't care if a car is "numbers matching"....I say "numbers matching" is for people that plan on having a garage-queen, a judged car, or plan on selling the car for a potential profit (which nowadays is a very risky bet.) ....

I disagree. Matching numbers has its place. All three of mine have/had matching numbers, all are/were original, and none are/were garage queens or show cars. I traded the '74 on the wife's little Mustang. Mistake. I no longer have the wife, she no longer has the Mustang, and I miss the '74. Numbers match of my '68 and my '80 and neither are for sale.

Matching numbers is a matter of personal choice. Some folks care; some folks don't.

:)

The VIN is for a big block. I haven't compared any build sheets or anything. It has aftermarket M/T valve covers, distributor, wheels, radio(no external antenna), Shift handle, headers and flowmaster mufflers. Other than that it looks stock. It sounds sweet with the big block and the flowmasters. A lot tougher than my father's 69 350/350hp. What should I look for in my search for the truth? Thanks.

If that car is as clean as it looks in the pics, you should grab it. 4spd Elephant, Tilt, PW, leather and it almost looks like AC. Either the doors or the seats are incorrect, but who cares. I'm not a matching #s guy, I just want a car that's fun to drive, solid and looks good. A friend of mine had a '74 BB with the dealer installed MT headers, some kind of suspension, MT side pipes and some other stuff, that was decades ago when my '69 was still a stock L48 at the time and would kill that car. The upside is you can really mod that 454 and make it move.

Good luck, that looks like a fun car at a great price if it's clean.

Well, I guess I waited too long or they just wholesaled the car at the auction. They said they weren't going to keep it too long because it didn't fit with their type of cars they carry. Maybe it will be out there at a different dealer or someone else will be driving it this weekend. Thanks guys and I will be looking for another deal. I need a vette soon.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom