Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1975 Corvette VIN locations?

C

ChevyMark

Hello all

I am seeking information on where the Vehicle Identification number is located on a 1975 Corvette. To be more specific, I am curious if it is stamped on the frame anywhere?

A friend of mine recently purchased a '75 Vette and he is trying to get it registered, only to find out that the number on the door and the dash dont match. Curiously, the VIN on the door matches the title, not the one on the dash..yea I know, not good...

Anyway, the authorities here told him to get the number off the frame, to see if it matches. Having restored my fair share of GM's over the years, I was not aware of any VIN number stamped on the frame of any GM vehicle. Since my Corvette experience is limited, I thought I better research it a little first. Since the frame is a bolt on part, like anything else, I thought it a bit strange that they would ask for a VIN off the frame, instead of one that is integral to the body.

I do know that Camaro's have the VIN stamped into the firewall, which is only visible by removing the blower motor, so I was wondering if the corvette has something similiar.

Thank you in advance for any assitance you can offer.

I remember a similar post which was for a 75, but my memory is failing fast; (I'm over 40!!). I believe there is a VIN number imprinted on the top of the frame just below the drivers seat. With a light and a small mirror you should be able to see it. I hope someone else chimes in here to verify but I'm pretty sure it was a 75.

Bill

Thanks for the tip.

Can anyone confirm this?

(I did do a search before making my post, but didnt come up with anything)

When you say VIN on the dash, I assume you mean the metal plate attached to the windshield pillar post, and is visible through the windshield. If so, that's the 'official' VIN for the car. If there is a different VIN in the blue door sticker, the door came from another car.

I don't know where this leaves your friend legally, but that's not the question here.

There is another VIN stamping on the frame, located on the drivers side frame rail almost vertically above the rear wheel. There's usually enough space between the body and the frame to get in there with a mirror and flashlight.

Does the car have the original engine? If so, the VIN derivative on the stamp pad may give a few more clues as to which car you have.

Mike

Thanks for the correction on the VIN tag placement on the A pillar, that is the one I was taking about.

Thanks also for the stamped number location on the frame. Does anyone know of any other VIN locations on the body of the vehicle (other than the door trim tag and the A pillar) ?

Indeed, the visible VIN should be located half way up the driver's windshield pillar and should read something like 1Z37J5S4xxxxx for an L-48 coupe. Corvette historically glued a copy of the manufacturers shipping order/build sheet to the top of the fuel tank under the rear deck but it's dubious that the document still exists in a readable state.

I believe there is also a VIN number stamped into the frame on the driver side, right in the back of the wheel well just where it passes under the body. Finally, I've read in other forums that build sheets were occassionally found behind the dash against the firewall-- but I don't ever remember seeing that location as one of the 'official' spots to locate a VIN.

Regards-

As Mike mentioned, the VIN derivative is stamped on top of the frame just above the rear shock upper attaching bracket; it's also stamped on top of the frame about 12" forward of where the rear kickup starts (about even with your wallet), but that's not visible with the body on. There are no "hidden VIN" locations on the body itself - just the public VIN plate on the LH windshield pillar.
:beer

Build sheets arent actually supposed to be anywhere, but are found in common locations on GM vehicles. Vettes are usually found on the gas tank, but I have found them in other cars (like Chevelles, Camaros, Novas, etc) in the seat backs (on Stratoback buckets), in the rear seat springs, in the door shell, under the carpet, wadded up in the dash, and even in the headliner, among other places. The most I ever found was four in a 1970 Nova SS.

Although build sheets are great for documentation, they arent actually official for anything, since many ended up in the trash as much as in the car.

I did a restoration on a 1977 Z28 that we had to document for the authorities in Arizona. It turns out that some clerk in Washington state made a typo on the title, and it was one number off in the production sequence. To get it registered, we had to prove that the number on the car matched the one on the dash, so they had me pull the right fender off, then remove the blower motor, where lo and behold, the VIN was stamped into the firewall.

It is this type of permanent VIN that I am hoping to find on the 1975 Corvette. Surely they have on on the body somewhere, like the Z28 did.

Good enough for me! Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, it is very appreciated.

Top notch forum!

chevyMark

I have the body off of my daughter's 72 LT-1 and the serial number on the frame is just slightly forward of the rear body mount on the drivers side. I did a body-off on a 64 Vette and the SN was right in the center of the frame kickup over the rear wheel, drivers side.

You may need to sand it a bit and/or use some chalk then wipe the excess off to see the number.
Ol Blue

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom