Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1975 Emission Controls

R

rpounds

Here in California, we have extremely stringent emission control laws, which include a bi-annual inspection which incorporates a dyno and a run up to highway speeds. This is required for all vehicles 1973 or newer (I know, what a waste of money, but what is a guy to do?) Therefore, it is incumbent upon those of us fortunate/unfortunate (depending on point of view) enough to live here to make sure that our cars are "smog legal". Sucks, doesn't it?

Here's the question . . . those of you who are zipping around in 1975 models would do me a big favor by checking under your hood and telling me the configuration of one particular piece. Specifically, if it is there or not. It consists of a vacuum operated rod which extends down to the hear riser. I'm not sure what the terminology is . . . and that is the best way that I have come up with to describe it. I am very sure that it is present on 1976 California vettes (owned one in '76, so I've seen it first hand), but I'm not sure whether it was used in '75.

Does anyone have any information on this.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,
That is the vacuum servo that operates the heat riser. When the engine is cold vac is applied to the servo to close the heat riser. This forces hot air thru the intake to pre-heat the a/f mixture.
Mike

Mike,

That much I understand. However, was this device incorporated on 1975 'Vettes? Or did it start in 1976?

Thanks,

Ron

Sorry Ron, but I don't have an answer for you. I do have a question, though. Wasn't California going to switch to a 25yr. rolling test? Meaning that as every year passes by, the oldest year gets dropped. For example, a 1976 car has to meet emissions tests this year, but next year it would be exempt. For some reason, I thought those idiots at CARB had agreed to this becoming law. What's the deal? --Bullitt

Bullitt,

I'm not sure what the story is. The California DMV's website still declares that only 1973 and older vehicles are exempted from bi-annual testing. It would be nice if I didn't have to worry about smog testing. I would love to get this thing making some real power . . .

I think however, that I have found my answer. According to an old Chilton's that I dug out of my stack of 'Vette stuff, the '75 model was the first year of the EFE control. That means that I need to start now looking for the parts to replace on mine.

Ron

rpounds said:
I'm not sure what the story is. The California DMV's website still declares that only 1973 and older vehicles are exempted from bi-annual testing. It would be nice if I didn't have to worry about smog testing. I would love to get this thing making some real power . . .

I may be talking out my rear here but I think that it is 73 and older until 2003 then cars 30 years or older on a rolling basis.

tom...

It would be a most wonderful thing if California did that Tom. That would mean that this anemic little 350 would be yanked, stroked (383), opened up . . . it would have some real power for a change. 1975 and 1976 were terrible years for power here in CA. as I'm sure many of you know. I love the vette, but it really lacks in the throttle response department. Unfortunately, until they change the smog laws, we're stuck with what we've got. I guess we'll just wait and see.

As to the EFE, I have located the parts to put back on for smog legality. Thanks for all of the input from all you 'vetters'.

Ron

Ron,
Just keep in mind that the emission exemption is an exemption from the testing for licenseing purposes only. It does not exempt you from the emission laws. They can still nail you with road side sniffers or at emission spot checks.

tom...

Tom,

That is very true. I would like to keep things as simple (and legal) as possible. That's why I'm re-installing the EFE. However, I'm afraid to even stick a slightly more agressive cam in there. I know that there are a number of 'smog legal' go fast parts offered by through the normal avenues. However, I went that route a few years ago with another vehicle. Couldn't find anyone willing to stick it on the machine, so I had to go to a referee. He okay'd it, but it was a real pain in the neck. If I can avoid that, I most certainly will try. If anyone out there has had a little more experience in this area than I, especially with California, please let me know.

For everyone, I appreciate your input. You guys really are the greatest!!

Ron

For anyone here in CA, I found this on the DMV website:

"At this time, all 1973* and older vehicles are exempt from the Smog Check Program, but owners of these vehicles are still required by law to keep their emissions systems intact. Current legislation requires vehicles 30-years-old or more to be exempted from the program beginning in 2003."

have a ZZ-4 motor in my 84 trans am and it passes its smog test everytime just put tpi on the car and now it passes easier than it did with the feedback carb usuallu just tuned the car up prior to the smog test and every 4 years replace the cat and yes live in california

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom