Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1979 C3 high engine temp .

Corvette
2008 ZHZ, Velocity Yellow / with Black Stripe
I recently. Purchased a 1979 C3. The only issue is the engine temperature runs at the edge of the HOT mark on the temperature gauge. It has a new radiator, hoses any is full of 50/50 antifreeze. Any suggestions ?
Dan

Is the car actually running hot? Losing coolant? The high reading could be the temp gauge or a bad (failing) temperature sender. Are the radiator seals in good shape?

:thumb

First, because of the age of the car, check the coolant temp with a known-good gauge. If they differ, solve the problem with the car's temperature gauge.

Next, make sure the fan clutch is the correct part and is working properly.

Now, in no particular order...

Check to make sure the front air dam or "lip spoiler" is in place.
C3s often used sponge rubber to seal the radiator to the core support so air flow could not bypass the radiator. Make sure those parts are in place.
Some C3's had a seal between the top of the core support and the hood. If your car had that and it's missing, replace it.

As suggested earlier, make sure the thermostat is working.

Make sure the water pump is in good condition. If the cooling system has not had periodic maintenance you could have a faulty impeller.

Make sure the replacement inlet hose is not collapsing.

Report back on the results of your checking.

Is the car actually running hot? Losing coolant? The high reading could be the temp gauge or a bad (failing) temperature sender. Are the radiator seals in good shape?

:thumb

No coolant loss, coolant level is o.k., fan shroud is on place, seals look good. I haven't certified the temp gauge, but it appears to go to minimum when parked.
It runs at 220 until lower speeds/ traffic. It has the clutch type fan and appears to be functioning...

Dan

hot car

yes i think i have the answer to your problem, its the color.your friend billy:chuckle
:chuckle:chuckle

No coolant loss, coolant level is o.k., fan shroud is on place, seals look good. I haven't certified the temp gauge, but it appears to go to minimum when parked.
It runs at 220 until lower speeds/ traffic. It has the clutch type fan and appears to be functioning...

Dan

Shoot the upper radiator hose just above the thermostat housing with an I.R. gun and compare that reading against the temperature gauge at the same time so you know what the gauge is really telling you; Step #1 in diagnosing any cooling issue is to determine if you really have a problem or not, before you start throwing money and parts at it.

You might read the article at the link below so you understand how your cooling system operates. :thumb

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/cooling system/cooling.pdf

Congrats on the new Vette, Dan!

Hope you enjoy this one for a long time. Those Sharks are just the coolest.

Replies to your issue make sense to me. Nothing more to add at this time.

While driving your new C3, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Congrats on the new Vette, Dan!

Hope you enjoy this one for a long time. Those Sharks are just the coolest.

Replies to your issue make sense to me. Nothing more to add at this time.

While driving your new C3, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w
Thanks LT 4 man, is FunFest on for 2012?

Dan

Hot C-3

Shoot the upper radiator hose just above the thermostat housing with an I.R. gun and compare that reading against the temperature gauge at the same time so you know what the gauge is really telling you; Step #1 in diagnosing any cooling issue is to determine if you really have a problem or not, before you start throwing money and parts at it.

You might read the article at the link below so you understand how your cooling system operates. :thumb

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/cooling system/cooling.pdf
Thanks John, I'll check it out....

After completing Hib's checklist and you determine you need a new water pump, I recommend the Stewart Stage 1 pump. It made a big difference on my car.

Thanks SHARKY

After completing Hib's checklist and you determine you need a new water pump, I recommend the Stewart Stage 1 pump. It made a big difference on my car.
I'll keep that in mind as I proceed.

Dan

Dan, that sounds like a nice match with the Hertz! When you have time we'd like the see pictures. :w

Thanks LT 4 man, is FunFest on for 2012?

Dan

Darn tootin' it is! :thumb

Hope to see you there! :thumb

And maybe your Shark! :cool!:

While driving to FunFest, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom