Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 frame replacement project

Corvette
1965 Coupe L76 / 1978 L82
another good day on the project.
Got the drive shaft installed along with the top of the spare tire carrier and gas tank, new master cylinder and new coolant control valve.
Most important we finally got the rear bumper mount brackets repaired and straightened out. The frame we are using must have been tapped in the rear at some point and the bumper mount brakets were a bit bent and we had to straighten them out so with some heating and persuasion we got those bracket tabs straight again.

We ran out of time today so didn't have time to do the body drop but we will finally get the body back on the rolling chassis. Because of our various schedules we aren't going to be able to work on the car next Sunday but the following week we will get the body dropped on the chassis and than another one or two working Sundays and the car should be running again and ready to go home. :)

Here are the pics from today:
http://www.vetteclub.org/1980_Project/projectpics9.html

... We ran out of time today so didn't have time to do the body drop but we will finally get the body back on the rolling chassis. Because of our various schedules we aren't going to be able to work on the car next Sunday but the following week we will get the body dropped on the chassis and than another one or two working Sundays and the car should be running again and ready to go home...

Sounds like you've got the hardest parts behind you! Way to go!

:cool

Barry, once again.....GREAT PIX! You're documenting this project so well, that it seems like I'm right there with you. What are you using for a camera? I do, however, think the kid would be better off with the 350 back in there. I've heard that the 1 Barrypower cars are a little sluggish off the line. :boogie
Andy :w

thanks guys! :)
it sure feels good to be so close to getting the body back on again after all these months.

Andy, the camera is some Fuji point & shoot digital model. It does a decent job but isn't anything fancy.
The 1Barrypower is VERY sluggish off the line. :)

Barry,

Sounds like you guys are moving right along; sorry I couldn't be there. I'm sure I could learn a few things about how the c-3's go together that will help me down the road, Hopefully I'll be able to get back up there and help out the next time you guys work.

HOWEVER, my car is still in Taos, NM (I'm back to work and in WA, OR this week and GA, AL next) and I'm not sure just how I'm going to get it home.

I'll keep in touch,

Bernie O.

Bernie!!
I've been thinking about you all week and was wondering how the car was and if you managed to get her home. i'm sorry to hear of all the problems and that the car is still so far away.
Did you end up just flying home?
Arrange a Classic Car transport company to pick it up and ship it back here for you. I'm sure it won't be inexpensive but at least the car will be home.
Once it's here we can go thru it with a fine tooth comb and get it fixed.

We aren't working on the '80 this weekend as Brian will be at the NASCAR race in Dover and I'll be at a show in Ocean City, NJ but we will be working on it the following weekend and plans are to drop the body than.

Barry,

Keep me posted on the '80 and send me an e-mail to remind me when you're going to work on it again. I'll do my best to be there.

Thanks for the concern about the '71; yeah we had to fly home from ABQ, we just ran out of time. I'm also having some more parts sent out there (trans cooler lines) to be installed. I'm still going back and forth over whether to drive it back or have it hauled back; I'm going to get a few estimates and that will probably make up my mind. I'll keep you posted.

What show is in OC,NJ ? I know the show in OC, MD is coming soon and I was hoping to make it with at least ONE of the cars, but I'm not sure when it is.

Talk to you later,

Bernie O.

Bernie

thanks, will do. I'll send out an email next week about next Sunday when we will be working on it again.

the OC, NJ show info is here- it's one of our favorite shows. I think we are taking both Vettes down for it. follow the link below and than click the link for the show flyer for info:
http://www.vetteclub.org/shows/showdetails8.html

Looks great so far, with all the experience you gain now, you'll be able to guide the next new owner of a Corvette starting this type of project. :beer Keep up the hard work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom