Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 L82: Rebuilding the Quadrajet...

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
Ahhhh... the only reason I'm rebuilding the Quardajet is so that I can get it running long enough to get the VIN inspection over with. Then... this spring... EFI.

Well, it wasn't horribly filthy- I expected sediment in the bottom of the fuel bowl based upon how it was running (rough).

Don't get me wrong- it was dirty (some particle matter under the float), but not as bad as it could have been. What did surprise me was all the slimy white, chalky film on the metering rods. I don't think the carb was even close to being set up right in terms of fuel metering. It was on the rough side.

Good news- the shafts were tight, the metering rods all matched, and there wasn't anything bent.

All the while, I'm remembering why it was that I went to EFI on my 1978 10 years ago. Some people are carb people. Some people are not. I'm with the folks in the second camp.

Anyone have 8x 24lb injectors they want to part with?

Well, I got it back together on Sunday, on the car on Tuesday, and fired it up tonight.

Either I've gotten better at rebuilding carbs (not sure how- I haven't rebuilt one in ten years!) or just better at paying attention to detail.

No leaks-just 3.5 turns for the mixture screws- and fired up in less than a minute.

sounds like all it needed was a little tlc!!!!!!!

There is nothing that sounds like a carbed engine running well.

Congratulations!

I am sure you are better at doing this. Just to be clean and meticulous will get you great results.

SAVE THE :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom