Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 build sheet photos

Nice.. :cool

Sloan Chevy in PA?

Do you know whether they were taken over or left their "Assets" with someone? Sometimes the businesses "store" their records some place. It might be lost, dont get me wrong, but if it was taken over, maybe (smal maybe) there might be a chance.

Then again, when i asked "my" dealer, as nice as they were, they had destroyed their records from that long ago due to space savings. :cry

:w
-Stefan

Yes it was Sloane Chevrolet on Cottman Street in Philadelphia, PA. Sloane Toyota now operates at the address. I contacted them and the manager confirmed that there were no records retained from the Chevrolet dealership. I was optimistic when I saw that Sloane still was in business, then found they closed the Chevrolet operation. Can't say I didn't try! At least now if I have a window sticker reproduced I can put the correct dealer name on it. Also I now have proof that the car was in Philadelphia, PA until now!

Another member from MD. NICEEEEE! I have my build sheet also. It's a great document to have no matter what year.

Here is what my build sheet looks like:

1-1.jpg

Belongs to this car:

81_10.jpg

Thats cool! Mine is a St. Louis car, so I am out of luck at the museum. After Christmas I am going to go through the archives to get my docs. Irish Joker, That is nice! My father works at Jerry's, has been there since 1970! How did you get such a clean copy of your build sheet? I am jealous!

Irish, just curious, but is 16677 the consecutive unit number for your '81?

:)

You are correct - "16677" is the last five digits of my VIN. So if that is the same as the consecutive unit build number for St. Louis then you are correct.

To answer the question on the how did I have such a clean build sheet - the answer is this one was found inside the car. Also I faxed this build sheet to the NCM and they took that and turned it into my Window Sticker and also reproduced the build sheet on to a larger sheet and laminated both.

Thats cool! Mine is a St. Louis car, so I am out of luck at the museum. After Christmas I am going to go through the archives to get my docs. Irish Joker, That is nice! My father works at Jerry's, has been there since 1970! How did you get such a clean copy of your build sheet? I am jealous!

You are not out of luck if you can locate your build sheet throug another source - look over on the Corvetteforum.com under C3 and do a search for C3 - someone over there had a website where you could request your build sheet information. If that site has your build sheet info - you can fax it down to the NCM and they can reformat it into the window sticker and send you a nice laminated copy of both the build sheet and window sticker.

P.S. Mine is a St. Louis car as well and if your dad has been at Jerry's since 1970's then he may very well have seen this car when it was shipped there in 1981 - it would have been "Dark Blue Metalic" and not "Gray Titanium Metalic" as it is now. That dark blue shell and medium red interior just did not sit well with me.
Also condolences on the loss of "Jerry" of Jerry's Chevrolet", I heard of his passing on the news. Any idea what will become of the dealership?

His son, Jimmy, has been running the Toyota dealership for years. It has always been rumored that he would take it over. We will see what happens over the next few weeks. Dad went to his viewing the other night. He was always nice to Dad and treated him well. Dad would not have seen it unless it went in to the body shop, thats where he is. Have you gone to any of the all Chevrolet car shows at Jerrys'?

Centsless,

I did the same thing, but it did not make sense for me to leave it on the gas tank, for it would have disintegrated shortly, so I removed it carefully by spraying a small amount of moisture on the sheet, and then carefully pried-off the big glue glob that they used on the center portion of the sheet of paper.

I have always wondered if I should have brushed-off carefully the dust/dirt on it, and then I should have sprayed a clear coat paint on it and let it cure before attempting to remove it.

If it is all the same for you, I would ask you to try it, and that way we can develop the best way to remove it without damaging it for future Vette owners. After all, these "options" forms are 27 years old.

Does anyone know if there is a down side to removing the build-sheet from a Vette????? NCRS guys (and gals..:eyerole) help? ;shrug

GerryLP:cool

Mine was intact and fairly solid, but had a LOT of glue holding it on. My car wont ever see rain so I felt comfortable leaving it. If I ever take the tank back out, I will try your idea.

Mine was so brittle and dry that the minute I lowered, and a nice cooling breeze that entered the garage ripped a small corner section of it while on the tank. So that made me try to recuperate the build sheet.

GerryLP :cool

...You are correct - "16677" is the last five digits of my VIN....

It's in the upper right corner of your build sheet below the model series codes. Looks hand stamped since the font is different. I was fairly confident it was your consecutive unit number.

Thanks for the confirmation.

:)

The VIN numbers were issued at the paint shop in assembly, that is why the print font is different. Also I read that the trim tags were once installed after the paint process, but then it was changed and placed on the car after primer, but before paint. That is why the tags are painted body color on the '81. I don't remember when they changed the process.

My father works at Jerry's, has been there since 1970!
My car also came from Jerry's Chevrolet in Baltimore. I had contacted them to see if they still had records, which they did not. Sorry to hear of Jerry's passing. . .

Spoke with my Dad last night. Jimmy Stautberg is going to assume the Chevrolet dealership. He also recalls seeing a blue 'Vette with red interior around that time. That has got to be an odd combination, so I wonder if it was yours that he saw!

His son, Jimmy, has been running the Toyota dealership for years. It has always been rumored that he would take it over. We will see what happens over the next few weeks. Dad went to his viewing the other night. He was always nice to Dad and treated him well. Dad would not have seen it unless it went in to the body shop, thats where he is. Have you gone to any of the all Chevrolet car shows at Jerrys'?

The all Chevy Car show is sponsored by The Chesapeake Corvette Club and hosted by Jerry's. That's my old club - I resigned from that club 2 years ago. My 81 took 2nd place the first year.

Spoke with my Dad last night. Jimmy Stautberg is going to assume the Chevrolet dealership. He also recalls seeing a blue 'Vette with red interior around that time. That has got to be an odd combination, so I wonder if it was yours that he saw!

It has to have been mine since there were only 5 thousand produced with this combination. Do you know if your dad participates or participated in the judging of the All Chevrolet shows at Jerry's? The first year we did this show there, we had Jerry's Chevrolet Managers do the judging. I think the Sales Manager, Body shop Manager and the Service Manager were the judges.

They all loved my car and could not believe that it had been repainted because the job was done so throughly that there was no "BLUE" left over paint anywhere on the car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom