Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 build sheet photos

My car also came from Jerry's Chevrolet in Baltimore. I had contacted them to see if they still had records, which they did not. Sorry to hear of Jerry's passing. . .

Cool - do you have the sales invoice? What color was your car originally and what's the VIN? Just curious to see how close yours is to mine.

...The VIN numbers were issued at the paint shop in assembly...

The vehicle's actual future VIN was determined in the front office after the order for the new Corvette was received in St. Louis and assembly was scheduled.

...I read that the trim tags were once installed after the paint process, but then it was changed and placed on the car after primer, but before paint....

68-75 trim tags were attached to the car on the assembly line after partial assembly had been completed and after the bodies had left the paint shop. These tags show no evidence of body color.

Some time in '75 (I think it was 75) trim tags were attached to the bodies in the paint shop before the last coat of color. These tags ended up being painted body color.

The exception is the Bowling Green cars. BG trim tags were attached in the paint shop but after the color coats had been applied. They have no body color on the tags.

:)

Here is a photo of a copy of my build sheet.

HPIM2052.jpg

It has to have been mine since there were only 5 thousand produced with this combination. Do you know if your dad participates or participated in the judging of the All Chevrolet shows at Jerry's? The first year we did this show there, we had Jerry's Chevrolet Managers do the judging. I think the Sales Manager, Body shop Manager and the Service Manager were the judges.

They all loved my car and could not believe that it had been repainted because the job was done so throughly that there was no "BLUE" left over paint anywhere on the car.

The first year, my Dad did judge with Dave Warder (The GM) and someone else. The years after, I do know the Corvette club did the judging. I had the 95 Impala SS there and lost to a 78ish caprice that was repainted (you could tell) and a Camaro that had leaves sticking out from under the hood... We also had a blue 72 chevy pickup there. We were kinda treated bad there by the Corvette club. We belong to the 67-72 chevytrucks.com and are on the board. When we registered for the show we put the board down as our club affiliation. The gentleman at the desk scratched it off the entry form and said it was not a car club. He was not polite at all and was actually quite rude. After losing to two pieces of junk, and being treated like dirt, we did not go back this year. Dad has a 1941 Chevrolet 2 door sedan with a Weind polished blower on a small block. He also did not go to the show this year. Hopefully I will have the Vette cleaned up enough this year to take it and the truck. I am currently selling the Impala.

The vehicle's actual future VIN was determined in the front office after the order for the new Corvette was received in St. Louis and assembly was scheduled.

68-75 trim tags were attached to the car on the assembly line after partial assembly had been completed and after the bodies had left the paint shop. These tags show no evidence of body color.

Some time in '75 (I think it was 75) trim tags were attached to the bodies in the paint shop before the last coat of color. These tags ended up being painted body color.

The exception is the Bowling Green cars. BG trim tags were attached in the paint shop but after the color coats had been applied. They have no body color on the tags.

:)

Thats it! I knew I had read that, but had it a bit mixed up...lol

The first year, my Dad did judge with Dave Warder (The GM) and someone else. The years after, I do know the Corvette club did the judging. I had the 95 Impala SS there and lost to a 78ish caprice that was repainted (you could tell) and a Camaro that had leaves sticking out from under the hood... We also had a blue 72 chevy pickup there. We were kinda treated bad there by the Corvette club. We belong to the 67-72 chevytrucks.com and are on the board. When we registered for the show we put the board down as our club affiliation. The gentleman at the desk scratched it off the entry form and said it was not a car club. He was not polite at all and was actually quite rude. After losing to two pieces of junk, and being treated like dirt, we did not go back this year. Dad has a 1941 Chevrolet 2 door sedan with a Weind polished blower on a small block. He also did not go to the show this year. Hopefully I will have the Vette cleaned up enough this year to take it and the truck. I am currently selling the Impala.

That is the very reason I left the club and I guess the person's name that treated you that way. His and a few other's attitude is the reason I left.
Yep, Dave I remember well. So your dad did see my vette that year since that was the only year I entered that contest. :)

That is the very reason I left the club and I guess the person's name that treated you that way. His and a few other's attitude is the reason I left.
Yep, Dave I remember well. So your dad did see my vette that year since that was the only year I entered that contest. :)
Is that Club located out here?

I do not know where exactly they are, but the show was near Towson, MD. I have been invited to Bel Air Corvette Club that meets in Bel Air once a month. I do not know if I will go or not. My car is really not a show piece, just a nice low milage driver. Maybe with some interior work and paint I will change my mind...lol

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom