Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1981 complete exhaust

ladams

Corvette
1981 White
I had a previous post in which I asked about what was involved in replacing my COMPLETE exhaust. Someone pointed out that I would need an exhaust that had the oxy sensor on it or else I would have to replace my distributer and carb. I have looked on the current exhaust and cannot find any sensors of any kind anywhere, but yet all the equipment is still original. Any thoughts? Also, can I remove the heat riser valve without problems?

The oxy sensors just screw into a threader fitting that I think can be welded on to any exhaust system, regular pipes or hedders.(if not already there) The heat riser should be left on a regular exhaust system to help during warm up, now some do remove it and put a spacer in it's place. Hedders will need all the stock manifolds removed which would include the heat riser. now, I don't know what sensors are originally on your car from the factory, my 76 had none. Have you checked on your local inspections to see if this will all pass, changing the exhaust systems??

Look around the catalytic converter - the sensor should be located in front of the cat. I replaced my complete exhaust system about two years ago - post the stainless steel exhaust manifolds. Those you can hardly find anymore. It was a custom job and to be honest I wasn't watching the work all that close because I trusted this particular custom exhaust shop and knew they did quality work.

If your '81 is original as you say. the O2 sensor should be located right below the exhaust manifold on the driver's side.
If it's not there, chances are emission system has been removed.

If your '81 is original as you say. the O2 sensor should be located right below the exhaust manifold on the driver's side.
If it's not there, chances are emission system has been removed.

I think that is the case but I am confused as to how I can still have the same carb and distributor if the computer is unhooked. Unless the person who previously told me that I would have to replace them was mistaken.

If computer is unhooked or missing, there is a good chance that the carburator and distributor as been changed over time. Those 3 elements work together on an '81 and cannot be separated.

I think that is the case but I am confused as to how I can still have the same carb and distributor if the computer is unhooked. Unless the person who previously told me that I would have to replace them was mistaken.

Seems to me that if your car is/was original you'd have a 'check engine light' lit? Is there a wire tried up against something? The OX2 wire should still be there?

I guess that the computer is unhooked or whatever because I get no check engine light and the car runs fine. So...assuming that someone has obviously made the necessary changes to the dist. and carb., does anyone know if this system would be a direct fit for my car?
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb...~S2IB16C0FW17332121250f~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000050G

It looks to me like it's a close replacement, but to be honest I don't know. I replaced the exhaust on my 79, but I got a STOCK replacement system from Mid-America and that had a single center pipe with a cat converter. And I had the stock Manifolds hot-coated and reinstalled, but I was going after a NCRS flight award. Which I won a second flight award two years later. a lot of work but it was worthwhile.:w

Considering what they are charging for that setup, you could possibly have a custom system made by a reputable muffler shop for about the same cost. There's no major reason why you need all those bends in the system.
My system essentially goes straight back until it gets to the point where it has to split to each side around the spare tire area.
Might be worth checking out shops in your area that can custom bend an exhaust for you. Just a thought. :thumb

Man that is a good looking exhaust system. Are headers difficult to put in 81's? Is there a notable difference in performance with them?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom