Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1981 heater hose replacement

FactoryC3

Corvette
1981 Black Coupe Red Interior
I am replacing my hoses on the '81 Corvette. My question is simple but not if you don't know;shrug. Do I have to drain the entire coolant system or can I just cut the hoses under the heater core and drain as needed. Changing hoses all the way to the water pump.:eek:hnoes

There should be a drain cock under the radiator on the right(pass) side...you will have to drain what you can of the system... Use a oil drain pan that has NOT been used for anything else!!!! (I have one dedicated for this purpose)
I will try to reuse the coolant when you are done changing it.
Good luck!

Bill is correct, the hose is connected beside the waterpump so you need the drain it all the way down to waterpump level. (Somewhere around 10 liters). Make sure all the air is out of the system when you returned the coolant.

Greetings Peter

Hoses all changed

Bill is correct, the hose is connected beside the waterpump so you need the drain it all the way down to waterpump level. (Somewhere around 10 liters). Make sure all the air is out of the system when you returned the coolant.

Greetings Peter

I want to thank all of you who offered advice and suggestions. Also those who posted previous threads with important info. I changed all of my hoses without incident and best of all...NO LEAKS.:happyanim:
Solve the small leak I did have.
On a side note, I had to replace the overflow tank since it cracked into a hundred pieces when I bumped into it. Old age....
Thanks again.:beer

Success

There should be a drain cock under the radiator on the right(pass) side...you will have to drain what you can of the system... Use a oil drain pan that has NOT been used for anything else!!!! (I have one dedicated for this purpose)
I will try to reuse the coolant when you are done changing it.
Good luck!

I want to thank all of you who offered advice and suggestions. Also those who posted previous threads with important info. I changed all of my hoses without incident and best of all...NO LEAKS.:happyanim:
Solve the small leak I did have.
On a side note, I had to replace the overflow tank since it cracked into a hundred pieces when I bumped into it. Old age....
Thanks again.:beer

Good to hear everything went as it should. Keep on driving!

Greetings Peter

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom