Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 INTAKE COLOR

G

GENE

What is the original color of the intake maifold on a 1981, is it blue or Silver?

It's bare aluminum.

Tom Bryant said:
It's bare aluminum.

I think that's right (bare aluminum). Most had blue overspray on the edges next to the valve covers. Bare aluminum, especially after it's been glass beaded, is really porus, and will stain with oil,gas, even vapors. One possibility is to have it glass beaded, then paint with dupli-color high temp cast blast aluminum paint. This looks very close to unpainted aluminum, and will be esasier to keep clean

mine, until I painted it was never touched. It was solid blue. (1979 vet)

zachh said:
mine, until I painted it was never touched. It was solid blue. (1979 vet)

Thats because the L81 had a aluminium intake and the 79 didn't i think.

Groeten Peter.

Actually, I am pretty sure that GM actually painted the aluminum intake silver. Why? I can only guess. Maybe to avoid oxidation. Whatever the case, gsimpson is right, they usually had some blue overspray. God bless, Sensei

Peer81 said:
Thats because the L81 had a aluminium intake and the 79 didn't i think.

Groeten Peter.
Correct ;) for information, the 1980 LG4 also had the Aluminum intake, that was the CA emissions 305 CID ;) (it also had the ECM)..

Bud

Just a comment: I am the original owner of a 1980 L82, the intake manifold is aluminum and was and still is painted silver. If my memory serves me correctly the '81 L81 had the same paint scheme as my L82. Black finned aluminum rocker covers, silver painted intake and Corporate GM blue for the rest of the engine.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom