Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 (L81) Tie Down Straps

bobcarroll

Corvette
'67 Maroon Air Coupe
I have owned 2, 78 Vettes and the cargo compartment had the requisite tie down straps and hooks (cleats). My 1981 has no tie down straps and no attaching hooks either. I checked the 81' Vettes for sale on eBay and where the cargo compartment fotos are shown, some have the the tie down straps/hooks and others do not. I can find no info on this subject in all the Corvette material I have including the Black Book. The web has zero too. My car is a June 81' Bowling Green build and the previous owners said the car never had the straps/hooks from day one. Can anyone help here? Thanks, Bob Carroll, Cincy, OH

Thanks......I'm simply asking if this was a deliberate factory deletion of the tie down straps/hooks on some builds while others had the straps and hooks. The tie down straps would prevent items in the cargo area from slamming into the seat backs in the event of a sudden stop........or from sliding around the cargo area during hard cornering, etc.

:w Bob & Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community..

The straps you ask about were standard equipment in our 1981 Corvettes. My guess is someone replaced the carpets and neglected to re-install the straps.

Here are a couple pictures of mine. I installed new carpet a couple/few years ago ;)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bud

Thanks again and I don't mean to belabor this but if someone replaced the carpeting, why would they remove the strap hooks completely....it isn't as if they are still there under the carpeting......they are completely missing. Also, the original owner says the car never had the straps or hooks. I think I'm going to give up on it.

attachment.php

Bud[/quote]

Short Answer... Lazyness

To replace the carpeting... you would need to remove the strap anchors and the retaining hook. To put them back AFTER the new carpet is in... would take some work to find the holes.

My guess is that if you removed the carpet, you would find some holes in the right spots. If it were me, I would buy some and putting them in.

When I bought my vette it didn't have the strap only the strap anchors. It is that I just bought a strap from ebay but if I didn't the anchors would also be gone after the new carpet got in.
But it's very simple the vette must have the anchors crewholes even if there never was a strap with anchors. They are pre molded same as the rear swaybar mountings, they are sealed but they're still there :)

Groeten Peter

Many thanks to all for your kind help! I am going to have my body guy pull the carpeting to see what is there and possibly try a salvage yard to see if I can put the car "whole" again.

Bob carroll:)

You don't need to pull the carpets. Just a sharp point awe and feel thru the carpet in the area where they should be mounted, thats how you find the hole to mount them after new carpet was put in.

I did pull the carpeting and the hooks (anchors) are there!!!!! I emailed Corvette Salvage (Picayune, MS) and they are sending me the correct tie-down strap! Thanks to all for your help! Bob Carroll:beer

I did pull the carpeting and the hooks (anchors) are there!!!!! I emailed Corvette Salvage (Picayune, MS) and they are sending me the correct tie-down strap! Thanks to all for your help! Bob Carroll:beer

Congrats!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom