Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Performance Upgrade help!!!

81Coupe

I have apparently an L81 in my coupe. I am looking for suggestions on how to squeeze out a few extra ponies, without doing a major teardown of the engine. Anyone have ideas. Anyone ever installed a chip for their 81. Apparently Hypertech or ADS makes one to modify the air/fuel mix and shift points. Thanks all!!!

81Coupe

Take a look at this THREAD from the recent past, it has some good simple things you can do to up the HP fairly economically.

As for the "chip" I tried one in mine and didn't notice enough of a change to suggest buying one, I "think" I had a little more pulling at higher RPM but could have been wishful thinking too ;), Mine is a 4-Speed so I don't know if an Auto would make much difference, if you would like the chip I have, and if I can find it I'd be happy to send it to you..

BudD
:w

81Coupe,

On my '81, I put Alumincote 5000 headers and a replaced the three-stage Cat with a two-stage; 3" pipes back to stock mufflers, removed the AIR pump and plugged up the plumbing. There was a very noticeable increase in torque and accelleration. Also gas mileage went up too. Just ran from 1300 miles round trip lugging my 200lb son with me and w/o AC running got 22.6mpg twice. I will hopefully have an opportunity to put her on a Dyno in September and once and for all get a reading on the exact increase achieved. Oh yeah, still passes the (very tough) MD emmisions test with flying colors. The whole upgrade was under $400 about 10 years ago.

Good luck and Welcome to the CAC. Never hesitate to ask a question, we're all here to help.

....... Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom