Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Rear window defogger

Nobody Cares

Corvette
red 81, orange 74 vert. , 80 claret,69 chevy pu
Trying to trace the problem with the rear window defogger on the 81. Sometimes it will work (not very often ). Is there a breaker to check and where is the breaker located ?? Just one of those things that bugs me not working. Dave
:hb

:w

Dave,I'll check on the breaker...but in the mean time check to make sure the ground is good,lots of times that is a problem with these vettes,due to age and corrosion I believe it is behind the overhead panels behind the t-tops..

I'll do a check on the ground Bill. If i am right there is a 30 or 35 amp circuit breaker some where , just not sure where .

Probably not for a few days though. Highs the next few days is only around 6 to 8 degrees and lows well below zero at night.
:beer

I had to replace the switch on ours several years ago but it failed completely. An intermittent problem may be harder to trace down. I'd start by checking all of the connections including the ground as mentioned above.

Tom

:w Dave,

The Circuit Breaker is located on the fuse panel, you can see it below, it is the CB 35 amp box ;)

I agree with Bill & Tom ;) connections, connections, connections also contact points of the switch ;) it could be something as simple as the plug at the defog on connection at the window film ;)

attachment.php

Bud

Thanks for the fuse panel diagram Bud. I'll checks things out first chance i get (connections ) Dave :w

I don't know if there is a relay for it unless it's in the switch....

My mistake. No relay. Just a connector in the rear left quarter panel.

Diagram shows 30 amp fuse for the defrost on circuit with orange and black wire. Guage fuse also has something to do with it on the pink/black wire. Coming out of the switch is a black to ground. a purple that goes to the connector in the rear left quarter and switches to a black which terminates at the grid.

Check your grid lines on the window a worn one could cause a problem.

Jim

Just looked in a spare I have. There is a built in delay. Maybe the contacts are bent out of place on yours. You may have to open it up and try to fix it.

Jim

Thnx again Jim. I'll check it out. I really haven't done much outside in the garage lately, been way too COLD. :beer Dave

Please keep me posted as well seeings how I am having the same exact problem...Thanks.

Sure will. Should be able to get the car out this weekend and take a look. Dave:beer

I am going to do this as well. Hope mine is as simple as a connection.

Hope it is that simple. Just one of those things that bugs me if it's not working. Dave:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom