Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1981 Vette Electrical

RevPat

Corvette
I have a fully charged battery, all gauges work, overhead light comes on and all buzzers sound.
When i turn the ignition switch-nothing. No sound, No start. Any ideas what to look for?
Thanks for your help

I have a fully charged battery, all gauges work, overhead light comes on and all buzzers sound.
When i turn the ignition switch-nothing. No sound, No start. Any ideas what to look for?
Thanks for your help
Have you checked the neutral safety switch (if auto, clutch safety switch if manual)?
also could be the starter interrupt relay ( just in front of shifter)

It's worth a shot.

I had this same problem a year or two ago with my 1980. I was extremely frustrated because I just couldn't figure it out. I posted the problem on here and someone told me I needed a new negative battery cable. He didn't suggest I try it. He said that was what I needed. I couldn't really see anything wrong with the one I had but I was desperate and a new negative cable wasn't at all expensive so I gave it a shot. When I turned the key and every time since the thing has started strong.

I had this same problem a year or two ago with my 1980. I was extremely frustrated because I just couldn't figure it out. I posted the problem on here and someone told me I needed a new negative battery cable. He didn't suggest I try it. He said that was what I needed. I couldn't really see anything wrong with the one I had but I was desperate and a new negative cable wasn't at all expensive so I gave it a shot. When I turned the key and every time since the thing has started strong.
Entirely possible, the bad cable mimics a bad battery.
if there's voltage to the purple wire at the starter then you've probably hit the problem on the head.

1981 Vette Electrical problem REPLY to Antz81

Entirely possible, the bad cable mimics a bad battery.
if there's voltage to the purple wire at the starter then you've probably hit the problem on the head.

Thank you for your suggestion. I wondered about that myself since I had the battery tested so I had a starting to trouble shoot from. I have a new battery that is pulling the cable tight which caused me to wonder if it was the cable. Would that cable issue allow the gauges and lights to work tho?
Blessed Day
RevPat

Have you checked the neutral safety switch (if auto, clutch safety switch if manual)?
also could be the starter interrupt relay ( just in front of shifter)

No have not tried these things, but they make sense too. I thought maybe starter solenoid
sometimes if I run the shift lever (automatic) thru the gears a time or 2 it will start. Now it will not start with that trick.
Thanks you for your suggestions
Blessed Day
RevPat

Thank you for your suggestion. I wondered about that myself since I had the battery tested so I had a starting to trouble shoot from. I have a new battery that is pulling the cable tight which caused me to wonder if it was the cable. Would that cable issue allow the gauges and lights to work tho?
Blessed Day
RevPat
Yes it would.
the bad cable reduces the current available or starting (this is a very high current). There would still be more than enough to run gauges and everything else though

Starter go bad????

Yes it would.
the bad cable reduces the current available or starting (this is a very high current). There would still be more than enough to run gauges and everything else though

I understand, Thank you again for the follow up. I'll have that cable looked at and I'll look at the terminal connector.
Blessed Day
Pat in Atlanta, Ga

It did with mine because, I assume, there was enough voltage being pulled through the bad cable to get enough power to these low voltage accessories.

I think you're confusing voltage and current.

Thank you for your comments too, the way I look at voltage or current doesn't matter because what it all boils down to is that all the water isn't come down the pipe and I have to find out why.

The why will solve it and all of the suggestions I've received are most appreciated.
At least now I know where to start. So far I have ruled out the battery, but it may still be the issue.
Blessed Day
RevPat

Starter was the problem

Thank You for responding and your suggestion. I don't think it is the starter, but I'll keep that in mind.
Blessed Day

10/9/14
You are right about the starter. My son in law and I checked out battery, negative (blk)cable, and alternator, all were good. He then decided to look at starter, tapped it once with a wrench and it fired up. So I thought I'd let you know.

Blessed Day and Thank you again
Rev Pat

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom