Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 vette first time buyer needs advice

Joe8915

Corvette
1990 Blue Steel
Tell me what you think. I'am not a wrench, so do you think this is a good deal

Vehicle Description
This classic t-top corvette with it's sleek sting-ray body style has been garaged it's whole life and is in excellent condition with only 24,000 original miles. Some collectors believe this vintage is one of the greatest Corvette values out there, and will be sure to appreciate significantly in the coming years. This is nearly a completely original car. You will be hard pressed to find a nicer 1981 Corvette out there.
Features:
• 350 V-8
• Automatic transmission
• Removable T - tops (mirrored)
• Brand new tires (I will include the original tires, which still have plenty of life in them)
• Factory air-conditioning
• Tilt wheel
• Cruise control
• Power brakes
• Power windows
• Power locks
• Re-window defroster
• Kenwood CD Stereo (I will include the original radio)
• Seat and steering wheel covers
• Bra and car cover included
• New Shocks (all four)
• New Idler Arm
Condition:
• Engine compartment is very clean
• Recently re-packed front wheel-bearings
• Interior carpet is in excellent condition
• Cloth seats are in excellent condition
• All instruments are functional
• Dash and interior vinyl shows no cracks
• Weather stripping is good
• Chrome on door handles is still in excellent condition
• Wipers are in good shape
• White exterior paint is original and in excellent condition
o A few minor chips near wheel wells and front grill - not bad for 25 years old.
• No accidents
This car runs and drives as nice as it looks. It's condition and mileage give it an estimated book value of approximately $21,000. I am only asking $14,000. The car is available for full inspection

:w Joe,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community..

Your post has me a little confused :W (not that abnormal condition ;) )

Are you Looking to BUY this car or are you advertising it for Sale???

We have a section in each Corvette Generation Corvette For Sale ...

If the Car is for Sale, please utilize the appropreate forum, if you are asking if it is a good price ;shrug THAT's hard to say, I suggest looking around at different Corvette For Sale sites and you can draw your own conclusion..

If I can help you move this For Sale Ad to the proper forums I would be glad too, or please contact any of the other Moderators or Administrators ..

Welcome aboard, good luck Buying or Selling..

Bud Dougherty
Forums Administrator

So sorry, first time here. This the car I want to buy. I thought this was the correct forum. General Discussions?

Welcome to CAC!

There are plenty of folks here that know more about C3's than me. All I can say is that my brother sold his '82 red, all original coupe, to D&M Corvettes in Chicago about 3 years ago for $15K so the price you quote doesn't seem out of line. I do know that D&M sold the car for $24K later (which didn't please my brother too much).

Good luck with your hunt for a Vette!

Ron
"Baldie88"

For what it's worth, here's what Corvette Magazine says. Hard to tell what it's actually worth w/o seeing the car. But with only 24K miles MAY BE it's worth it.

C3marketreportJune07.jpg

Tell me what you think. I'am not a wrench, so do you think this is a good deal

Vehicle Description
This classic t-top corvette with it's sleek sting-ray body style has been garaged it's whole life and is in excellent condition with only 24,000 original miles. Some collectors believe this vintage is one of the greatest Corvette values out there, and will be sure to appreciate significantly in the coming years. This is nearly a completely original car. You will be hard pressed to find a nicer 1981 Corvette out there.
Features:
• 350 V-8
• Automatic transmission
• Removable T - tops (mirrored)
• Brand new tires (I will include the original tires, which still have plenty of life in them)
• Factory air-conditioning
• Tilt wheel
• Cruise control
• Power brakes
• Power windows
• Power locks
• Re-window defroster
• Kenwood CD Stereo (I will include the original radio)
• Seat and steering wheel covers
• Bra and car cover included
• New Shocks (all four)
• New Idler Arm
Condition:
• Engine compartment is very clean
• Recently re-packed front wheel-bearings
• Interior carpet is in excellent condition
• Cloth seats are in excellent condition
• All instruments are functional
• Dash and interior vinyl shows no cracks
• Weather stripping is good
• Chrome on door handles is still in excellent condition
• Wipers are in good shape
• White exterior paint is original and in excellent condition
o A few minor chips near wheel wells and front grill - not bad for 25 years old.
• No accidents
This car runs and drives as nice as it looks. It's condition and mileage give it an estimated book value of approximately $21,000. I am only asking $14,000. The car is available for full inspection

The prices are all over the place for corvettes. If the car is nice. Doesn' t need paint or interior. Has a solid frame. Runs well. Its probably worth that. You can get them for a bit cheaper but by the time you start painting,changing interior, repairing you'll surpass $14,000 easily.

Jim

Might be a little high at $14K. Have you seen the car? What's the VIN? This could be a St. Louis car or a Bowling Green car.

The real question only you can answer is whether you have heard that little voice saying "this is the one."

:)

I agree with jdp6000. Depending on how much work is left with what you want to do in restoring it or upgrading it you could spend a hell of a lot of money. I have already surpassed what I spent on purchasing my 79 with restoration. 14K might be a bit high. Do you have any pics or links for all of us to see to help you make a better decision? As 6880 Mike said; only you can ultimately answer this question but we can help you if you provide some more info. Good Luck and Welcome to CAC...

Check the car over and over before you buy it. There are a few places where you want to check the frame for rust (like in front of the rear wheels, just in front of the diff badwing mounting, the cage where bodymount 3 and 4 are. Open a door complete and check just under the windowframe for rust or cracked paint. Check the condition of the body mounts and other rubber things. If the car is really that could these should be the only points I would worry about. (and if it has enough miles also if the diff yokes move to much or not.) I can't help you with prices, here in Europe you don't get a good one for $14k ;)

Groeten Peter.

welcome to CAC!!!:CAC
sounds like a good deal but check it over as suggested in the previous posts

hope you enjoy it if you get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe,

The price is not out of line for the condition described. Always try to get it lower though, but be prepared to pay what they're asking if you really want it. 24K miles is low and that can lead to some minor problems in that seals dry out and cause leaks in the engine and tranny over time when not driven. Brakes don't like to sit around either. If it has the original lip seal calipers, they will more than likely need to be rebuilt or replaced with remanufactured calipers converted to stainless steel sleeved ones with o-ring seals. You can probably find other cars cheaper in price, but this one is in your own backyard. You will save $500 to $1000 by not buying one across the country and having it shipped to you or having to spring for airfare to go pick it up. You have a great opportunity to look this one over in person. Go to the "tech center" tab above and click on buying a corvette to print out a good checklist of things to check. Most of all, drive it. There are years of technology between when this one came out and what you have probably been driving lately. Don't be surprised if she rides a bit harder than expected. Not to say they aren't fun to drive, oh they are. Remember that the investment doesn't stop when you purchase the car. There WILL be other expenses buying a car that old.

Thank you Mike, good point. I will add this to all of my QA. You sure can build up a nice little file when looking at these vettes. I thought buying a boat was hard.

Tell me what you think. I'am not a wrench, so do you think this is a good deal...

Joe,

Are you looking for an 81 in particular, or any C3? Unless, it's show-quality, the price seems a bit high.

Also, have you checked out eBay... I realize opinions vary are all over the place regarding autos purchased on eBay. However, I've had good luck.... here's a link for 81 Vettes, if interested: http://motors.search.ebay.com/1981_...QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZ6168QQssPageNameZWLRS_queryZ1981QQpfidZ2473QQpfmodeZ1QQreqtypeZ2QQsacatZ6168QQsadisZ200QQsaprchiZQQsaprcloZQQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

Good luck with your search, and WELCOME TO THE CAC!
:w
Ralph

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom