Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 Collector - Runs rough & won't pass emissions

S

stingrayme

Help, Please!!!! I've owned this 1982 Collector's Edition for a couple years now and have yet to find a mechanic capable of getting it to run smooth enough and have enough power to get out of my own way. Right now I can't even get it to pass emissions. I gave my mechanic all new a/c delco parts for a tune-up when I bought the car and it ran even worse when I got it back. The problems are as follows:

1) High Idle (which makes it slam into gear when I put it in drive)

2) Hesitates on acceleration

3) Rough Idle

4) Pedal to the floor (buried) before it will kick down a gear if at all

5) Won't pass emissions

My mechanic says that if I drive the car more it might pass emissions. I hardly drive it now because it runs like a pig. Now, I'm fairly mechanically inclined but when it comes to the cross-fire injection, I'm of no use because it doesn't seem like there is much I can adjust. Or is there? I've heard cars with cross-fire injection have had their problems but they didn't run this bad from the factory did they? I'm ready to unload this beast.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Stingrayme!

Welcome to Corvette Action Center.
Hang in there!

I know we have had several discussions about the crossfire engine and we also have members who absolutely love their crossfire!
It appears that either your mechanic does not know enough about the crossfire to tune and adjust it properly or there is a more serious underlying problem.
I am tending to lean towards the mechanic having limited crossfire experience, because I seem to recall these engines running great.

Someone will be able to advise you shortly...just keep hanging in there! Meanwhile, do a search in the C3 tech section for posts with "crossfire" in them...
Heidi :w

check the TSB's out here, i think that there was a chip change and if you didn't get that done then that might be your problem. also do a search for it. i do remember that there were a few chips left in the chev system just a mater of finding a dealer that has one or can get one.
tom

Thanks for the advice. I'll look for the chip, hopefully someone still has one.

Kevin

Kev: Help is on the way! Check this website out, it's specifically for crossfire injection systems. Hopefully, you can find your answer there. Here's the URL: http://www.crossfire.homeip.net:/

Now, here's a great book to have for either yourself or your mechanic to refer to. Some guy is selling the Crossfire Injection manual on Ebay that was produced by GM in 1982. Because you are in such a pickle, I won't bid on it! :)

Here's the URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3608425239&category=1316

Lastly, find yourself a very reputable and established GM dealership that specializes in Corvettes. That is the only thing that I can tell you to do. Finding a reputable mechanic that wasn't five years old when these cars were produced is not that easy to do. Trust me, I own a CE too, and I'm VERY picky on who touches my car. Post on the forum for your area and ask for references on a good mechanic that has experience working on 1982 cross fire injection engines.

Hope this helps! Email me if there is anything else you need!

Before you pay anyone to look at it make sure all the electronic sensors are plugged in and there aren't any broken wires near the sensors. Then make sure all the plug wires are routed where they should be. I have fixed a lot of computer controlled cars just by doing those things. Then you need to hook up a computer code scanner to it and any reasonably competent mechanic should be able to do that. I don't know 82 vettes but all cars work on the same principles, you just might have to help your guy find stuff on your car. Look for an ASE certified mechanic that you can trust and they should the proper scanners.

Hope this helps.

Bill

First of all, do check for ECM codes. Does the Check Engine light even work? (it should come on with the ignition on, engine not running, then turn off when you start it up).

High Idle - common causes are a vacuum leak (the intake manifold lid is a common area for vacuum leaks), or a bad/stuck IAC valve. You can check the IACs by plugging each IAC port on the top of the throttle body and see if the idle comes down (don't let anything get sucked in!).

Kick down - probably needs a TV cable adjustment.

If they haven't been replaced in a while, replace the O2 and coolant temp sensors (the one in the front of the intake manifold). If the CTS is original or has only a single-wire connector, then definately replace it without question. The replacement should come with a 2-wire connector.

Bill

Thanks all for all your advice. I will check out all of the above tips this weekend. Anything else you can think, drop me a post. Who knows, if it starts to run good enough, I just might keep it and sell the '81.

Thanks again!

stingrayme said:
I just might keep it and sell the '81.

Thanks again!

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep the 81.

Hope you get it running. Like the others said, make sure all your wires, sensors and vacuum lines are in good shape. One bad vacuum line can make your engine run like crap.
:)

While you're at it check for proper EGR operation. The cross-fire is a great engine. I have over a 100K on mine without a problem. The biggest slam was they have limited upgrades available though there are many whom disagree with that statement. As others have said, get a qualified mechanic or even better get the manuals, jump in and do it yourself.

Carlo

-hesitate to suggest the obvious, but...

-Hello KP: -having encountered the very same symptoms with my '80C3-vette when it arrived aboard Transport from Tennessee, --yes, started OK, but with excessively hi-idle speed and just enough power to barely get down the road!!! Well, I immediately slapped-in a fresh set of Autolights, readjusted the Rochester's-choke, got-in, put her in drive, mashed-down on the throttle as before, --whilst to my utter delight ----Scrreeeeeecchhhh, -she obediently laid down a right nice strip of rubber for her pleased new master (difference like night'n-day)! Sincerely hoping you may experience the same...
~Bob vH
:v ;stupid :dance

Mine ran terrible when I first got it & everything I did made it a little better until the new PROM.... now it's running great. First I did the obvious.... new plugs, wires, cap, coil.... the whole tune up. Had slight improvement. It also surged quite a bit at idle.... looked everywhere for a vacuum leak & finally found that the intake man. was the culprit. Again, improvement but still not quite right. Found a guy that actually knew how to balance the throttle bodies (this also will drop that high idle). To make a long story short.... I replaced the ECM (without updated PROM), IAC's, temp sensor & THIS IS IMPORTANT - I quit using high octaine gas.... this actually made the biggest noticable improvement. I now use the lowest octaine they've got. The last thing that I did was found an updated PROM for it & it's purring like new.

Here's a link to my post celebrating final success: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=148937#post148937

It truly was quite an adventure trying to find someone that knew their way around the crossfire. Good luck!!

PROM Chip

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the help. The new chip sounds like exactly what I need. Where can I find one? I called the local gm dealers and nobody has one. Can I use the Hypertech chip instead?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

An aftermarket chip is NOT the solution to your problem. You have a more basic failure somewhere in the system. That car did NOT run like that from the factory...you need to find out why it's running like that before you start changing chips...etc.

Did you check for ECM trouble codes?
Also, give a little more detail on the emissions test results. That may help determine what the engine's doing....or not doing in this case.

I really think at the very least you either:
- have a vacuum leak somewhere
- have TBs that are badly out of sync.
- have a bad IAC motor/valve

These NEED to be checked. For procedures on how to do this do indeed visit http://www.crossfire.webhop.net.

You may also have a problem with fuel pressure. The stock 82 and 84 pumps are notorious for not generating enough flow to keep good pressure under heavy engine loads. Lots of CFI owners like to replace it with an 85 pump and have been very happy with the results.

Bill

Where can I find one?

This was quite a challenge actually.... my local GM parts dept gave me several national 800 #'s for other GM dealers. I made many calls before I found a chip, but finally did. Unfortunately, I don't have those #'s anymore (or at least I can't find them), I will keep looking.

Can I use the Hypertech chip instead?

I asked the same question to Hypertech & they told me that their chip would be exactly the same as the one I already have except when at wide open throttle.

AC Delco themselves is told me that the updated chip would make an improvement but since it was discontinued, I would have to find one on my own.

Bill (geekinavette), is right, I had a problem with everything he mentioned & the "aftermarket chip" is what hypertech said wouldn't help me but, the AC Delco updated chip, did help. Make sure your AIC's are working properly, TPS is set right, check for vacuum leaks (I found my leak by spraying starting fluid around the intake man. until I hit a spot that the RPM's increased) & then have the TB's balanced by someone that really knows how. Make sure not to burn high octaine gas (it burns slower than low oct.) & then persue the chip if she's not purring for you. I almost forgot, I also changed the fuel pump & the EGR valve. Anyway, I'll keep looking for those 800 #'s. Good luck, Jim
:beer

Thanks again Bill, Jim and everyone. I've got it a new mechanic now and he's also got a printout of this post. He says he's worked with tb's before and should be able to help me out.

Jim, let me know if you find those numbers, cuz I may need that chip after all.

Thanks!!

P.S. I'll give you an update soon, hopefully.

I have the old ecm out of my 82, still working last time i drove it perfectly...... if you want it email me, tgvette@cox.net.... also have some xfire parts left if you find something else bad....... tb is the same as in the caddy eldorado in some years if the vette info becomes scarce......

Tony

btw, mine idled high because when i got it, someone had chiped off the idle screw guard and had kicked it up a lil...... same hard jump when i shifted to drive..... turned it down and back to normal...... also vacuum leak maybe? there is exactaly 6,234,876 hoses in a c3 and any of them could have a break. check em.

I've got a CE as well and recently it started running like poo for no apparent reason.

Save yourself some time and money (potentially) and check every lead, connector, wire and plug you can get to before you invest money on replacement proms or anything else. I found quite a few loose wires and other minor electrical issues that may or may not have had anything to do with the problems the car was having. Check the connectors and wires leading to the ECM behind the seat. Its placement isn't exactly well thought out (right next to the battery which has probably leaked a few times in the past 20 years).

Needless to say, after fixing some of these things I hadn't even considered, the car is running much better. It could probably benefit from a new prom, but we just bought my wife an '01, so I'm going to be a little short of cash for about the next 5 years....

Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom