Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 Interrior change

82RL

Corvette
2000 LT. Pewter Coupe
I would like to change the interrior in my 1982 Vette from Red to Black . Did they have black interrior in 1982? Are all the components available today for this change? Thanks

We're talking serious money here...thousands of dollars! Unless you can find one in a junkyard. But even then you'd have to buy some stuff...

82RL

I found when I gutted my interior on my 82 that none of the plastic panels are actually dyed a color but covered with some sort of material probably just a grained vinyl or something chances are good any upholstery shop can do this type of work but I just simply took scotch pads to mine and dyed them along with the dash pad and the results were extremly good I used dye in a spray can ..... Im not sure if maybe my panels were covered at sometime or if they came that way

In 82 the interior color wasn't black, it was charcoal, and it's a little lighter than the back. For a new interior off one of the catalog companies like Corvette Central, Zip, etc... it's gonna cost around $1k for the whole thing so IMHO I would dye the most parts as possible and order the rest.
Paul

Interior - Been There, Done That

82RL: I just completed my interior color change to Black also.

There's a number of different ways you can go about this,
1. Order Everything ($$$$)
2. Use Common Sense, shop around

It's important to remember, Black is Black, and not CORVETTE specific.

Here's my suggestions, use (or don't use) which ever you perfer.

1. Seat Covers: The single most costly part of this.
Look up: www.anthonysupholstery.com in Tampa.
(Imitation Leather seats w/ Corvette Logo embroidery on the head reats around: 200.00 pair, Leather is more $$$)
FIND SOMEONE LOCAL TO INSTALL (I paid $75.00)

2. Carpet: You can go 3 differtent ways if you like:
A. Order a kit, appox. $300.00 PLUS
B. Buy and cut your own (simple to do, the pattern is already there) cost appox. $100.00
C. DYE: Yes, you can dye the carpet too.

3. Dash/Door Panels, etc: Big Money here.
My strong suggestion here is to DYE, not BUY.

About the DYE(S)

You can get the dyes from the Corvette vendors (6 x overpriced)
or go down to your local Auto store chain (PEP BOYS, AUTOZONE, etc) Both the Interior dye and the Carpet dye come in spray cans that cost $ 4.99 each. (6 interior, 4 carpet)
EACH DYE PRODUCT WORKS, AND WORKS WELL

P.S. If you use the dye, don't use the paint on quarts, use the spray, the difference is night and day.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps. :_rock

If you are going to dye the carpet black first try a fabric dye that you can buy at Kmart, Wal-Mart etc. Power mix w/ 2 cups hot water. Put into spray bottle, spray carpet wet, blend in with a rag, let dry and repeat process until color is right for you. Remember to wear rubber gloves. The cost of the dye is about $1.50 per package. This will leave the carpet soft. If needed then use the spray dye for the final touch.:)

You guys are great! As I am doing the same thing, I just went back to my parts catalog and crossed those things off...Common Sense...pricelesss!! Damn..why didn't I think of that..saved me about a thousand bucks.

Now if you guys were in charge of my 401 K, I wouldn't have to work for another 20 years to make up for what I have already lost...oh heck...I'll just go buy another Vette!

76L82

I hope everything works out well for you.
Here's a tip:
If your spray dying the door panels and dash, make sure the door jams are COMPLETELY covered and taped.
After EVERY COAT check the outside of the car for overspray.
Keep some mineral sprits on hand.

Good Luck. :CAC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom