Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 Torque Converter

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what causes the torque converter to lock on the 1982's Turbo Hydra-matic transmission?
Is it computer controlled? A sensor? what?

Thanks for the help!

The ECM sends a signal, based on engine load, and speed, through the electrical connector on the side of the transmission. This tells a valve inside transmission to open, and hydraulic pressure locks the torque converter. The converter has a shaft inside a shaft, and the two are locked together when pressure is applied.

I was afraid of that.
Long story short, my car is not using the ECM.
The crossfire is gone, and i'm using a Holley carburetor, intake, and fuel pump.
(for the record, it was the previous owner that removed the crossfire)
That means that my torque converter is not locking.
I have heard that the 700R4 transmission has become semi-popular for aftermarket projects. And that there are kits that can be installed to make the torque converter lock when the transmission is used on a non-computerized car.
Does anyone have any idea where i could find such a kit, how difficult it is to install, or how much one would cost?

Thank you.

You need one of these.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM-70244&N=700+115&autoview=sku
bmm-70244.jpg

The connector plugs into the transmission, the speed module extends off your speedo cable and the slider switch mounts inside the cabin. All you need to do is find a 12V supply off your fuse box, and figure a way to route the wires from inside to cabin to the transmission.

From what i read, it does not require dropping the transmission pan. I like that.

Am i going to damage anything if I run it without the lock-up?
I know it will run hotter, and my gas mileage will be lower.
I can live with that as long as nothing is going to blow up.

Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom