Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1984 magnesium valve covers

afdesa

I have a 1984 that I have been rebuilding. The carpet was replaced, the stereo, the engine, A/C system, cooling system, brakes, and various other little parts. I am looking to complete the project with a nice paint job hopefully soon. I have a daily driver now and really enjoy the car. I however would like to replace the magnesium valve covers. I have looked every where over the web for a direct replacement but no luck. I read through the posts and was unable to locate any reference to a direct replacement. Any assistance or comments would be greatly appreciated.
:thumb

I read through the posts and was unable to locate any reference to a direct replacement.
What do you call "direct replacement" They are only regular SBC perimeter bolt pattern covers or are you looking for aftermarket in same style?

magnesium is the key

I think he is being specific about wanting the magnesium covers. All the catalog places carry aluminum and chrome covers but not magnesium covers.

Do the dealers carry the magnesium ones?

Jim S. :w

I am sorry I was not very specific. I am looking for something other than the current cover for the 84. Maybe a nice chrome one that fits directly on the same spot. I have read where the covers can be powder coated but a direct replacement that looked nicer would be great. I just want something that standout when the engine bay is opened. Once that is done the rims need to be replaced and a paint job and the car will be done. I will post picks as soon as they are available. I love my 84.

I have a 1984 that I have been rebuilding. The carpet was replaced, the stereo, the engine, A/C system, cooling system, brakes, and various other little parts. I am looking to complete the project with a nice paint job hopefully soon. I have a daily driver now and really enjoy the car. I however would like to replace the magnesium valve covers. I have looked every where over the web for a direct replacement but no luck. I read through the posts and was unable to locate any reference to a direct replacement. Any assistance or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Try this: CORVETTE GENERATION

Call Wally. He may have some covers off of an '84 (or at least with the bolt pattern you need - perimeter). You will probably have to repaint them, but it is worth it.

CG

I am sorry I was not very specific. I am looking for something other than the current cover for the 84. Maybe a nice chrome one that fits directly on the same spot. .
Any SBC rocker cover from '60 - '85 will fit; You don't need a Corvette specific one.
Only concern is that it is not so tall that it will not clear the wiper motor

60+ variations here
Valve Covers - SummitRacing.com

I am sorry I was not very specific. I am looking for something other than the current cover for the 84. Maybe a nice chrome one that fits directly on the same spot. I have read where the covers can be powder coated but a direct replacement that looked nicer would be great. I just want something that standout when the engine bay is opened. Once that is done the rims need to be replaced and a paint job and the car will be done. I will post picks as soon as they are available. I love my 84.

You know... you could remove your valve covers, clean them, strip the paint, and repaint them in a color that compliments your engine bay, interior, or exterior. You could do that for under $10 if you covers aren't totally trashed.

:confused
Well I guess I was wrong in my interpretation of the original post. Finding replacement valve covers shouldn't be very difficult. However, I like the suggestion of painting yours to match the exterior. :thumb

:w

You know... you could remove your valve covers, clean them, strip the paint, and repaint them in a color that compliments your engine bay, interior, or exterior. You could do that for under $10 if you covers aren't totally trashed.

Be prepared for some work , the factory mag castings are very rough and the paint is 1/4" thick to cover up the blemishes
Took 3 applications of aircraft grade paint stripper to get mine bare .Like others before me I thought I might polish them and clearcoat but after seeing the work needed to clean them up just resprayed them

The Edelbrock or virtually any SBC cover will fit through early 86. Lots of centerbolt aftermarket out there for 86+ for that matter.

I put the edelbrock on there years ago and am currently refinishing 82 covers on since I like the fin design better than 84+.
Like vetteoz said they are pretty rough castings and a pain to strip and polish. I intend on using a wrinkle finish to match my intake cover to cover the many imperfections.:w

I repainted mine with black wrinkle finish and they turned out great. The wrinkle finish seems to be fairly durable. Just make sure you use a acid / self etching primer before applying the wrinkle paint. Also, since wrinkle paint only comes in limited colors, you can paint over the wrinkle finish to give yourself a final color that the wrinkle finish may not come in. The wrinkle finish will cover a lot of sins left in the magnesium valve covers that comes with age.

CG

I repainted mine with black wrinkle finish and they turned out great. The wrinkle finish seems to be fairly durable. Just make sure you use a acid / self etching primer before applying the wrinkle paint. Also, since wrinkle paint only comes in limited colors, you can paint over the wrinkle finish to give yourself a final color that the wrinkle finish may not come in. The wrinkle finish will cover a lot of sins left in the magnesium valve covers that comes with age.

CG
Yes good advice with the primer! Which would even be nice with the stock color OVER the wrinkle finish for a semi stock look....maybe even yellow to match one's hat? :chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom