Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1986 AC Recharge

Where did you get the vaccum pump from? What did you do with the old gas?

The system was empty, it had a leak at the compressor. I borrowed the vacuum pump.

I can tell you that servicing your own AC is not difficult. A professional mecahnic will only spend so much time (which directly relates to your cost) on any project. With the help I received on this forum, from the many experienced folks that visit here, I was able to replace the entire AC system in my 86', by myself, without a problem. I replaced the compressor, condenser, accumulator and all the hoses and switches myself. The best part is it only cost about $500 dollars out of my pocket for a complete new AC system that is now converted to 134a and is working fantastic! If you had all this done by a pro it would probably cost 3 times that amount or more. Don't be afrasid to try it yourself!

Did you replace all the equip because of advice or was there mechnical issues. I have seem posts that folks just replaced the drier and pumped in new R134a.

I believe that my 87 has R12 in it there are none of the 134 fittings to my knowledge. The AC works but on hot days like today it did not blow very cold, what is the best course of action, a lot of this stuff was talked about a while ago like the FR12, is there a way i can get it or is there anything else compatible with R12? Thanks

Justin

C4ME said:
Did you replace all the equip because of advice or was there mechnical issues. I have seem posts that folks just replaced the drier and pumped in new R134a.
I had already tried the r134a conversion on the existing equipment, but, it leaked out of the compressor seal. It did work for about 18 months. Since the compressor was leaking I went ahead and replaced that along with the rest of the system components except for the evaporator. It is working great right now and hopefully it will perform well for me for a number of years. It was not a difficult repair, you just need to pay attention to details and do it by the book.

Thanks very much for the info. I gotta tell ya, when I told my wife about your username, we both burst out laughing!

Thanks again

I got that nickname from my wife and kids. I can always get there cars running again when they are "Uncooperative" so to speak. I thought it was kinda cool, and it stuck.

I do not really want to go through the whole conversion over to 134 is there something else i can use that is compatible with R12?

If it's still cooling and you don't have to much oil slung out on your hood (compressor shaft seal leak) it won't take more than a pound or R-12 to top it off. Last I saw was about $35 a lb. It only holds about 2 lbs completely empty.
Any of the drop in replacements FR-12, hotshot, envirosafe, ect require new fittings and a complete evacuation and re-charge.
Bye the way, R-134a requires an oil change because it will not circulate the mineral oil used in R-12 systems. Without the correct oil, the system will cool until the compressor dries out and,,, you know the rest of the story.

JS

Great Info--Thanks!

Off to take the test, as my air was dismantled for the new motor.....still is.

Muchas arigatos.

BTW, has anyone actually received the card as a result? Does the card truly allow the purchase of refrigerant?

I have been ripped off on the web before, and I thought it was wise to ask. The site LOOKS credible, but...........
:w

-email from Whisperer:

"You do get an actual plastic card with your license number on it. You can purchase refrigerant with it. If you only need to by r134a refrigerant then you don't need a license. Anyone with or without a license can buy r134a right now."
thanks, pal. :w

Has anyone used this Eviro-Safe??? My A/C is luke warm at best!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom