Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1986 Corvette Engine woes!

1michaelobriant

Corvette
1986 C-4 Pace Car
I purchased a 1986 Pace car with a knocking engine. I am trying to decide to rebuild it or buy a new engine. The car is super clean in and out and I bought it right. Who makes a new engine for this vehicle ? It is the late L98 with alum. heads. It has been very frustrating trying to figure out what GM performance engine will work or summit or jegs. It is not a real clear listing. I want to keep the TPI set up as is. Thanks, Michael

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

I'm going to move your thread into the C4 Tech forum for greater exposure...

I purchased a 1986 Pace car with a knocking engine. I am trying to decide to rebuild it or buy a new engine. The car is super clean in and out and I bought it right. Who makes a new engine for this vehicle ? It is the late L98 with alum. heads. It has been very frustrating trying to figure out what GM performance engine will work or summit or jegs. It is not a real clear listing. I want to keep the TPI set up as is. Thanks, Michael

Hi,

Personally, I would rebuild an original Corvette engine, they are a better engine even though they have the same identification number [L98]. The engine would be close to 30 years old and the casting would be 'hard', and cured by now, making it easy to machine, weld, clean, etc. You can build the engine to your specs and use the components and material you want.
Cheers,

I'd rebuild it, Michael.

In 2008, I started having some issues with my 89. Being somewhat mechanically challenged, I had the motor pulled and sent to Jasper to be remanufactured. 50,000 miles later, still running great. And, numbers still match. I'd fix yours, don't replace it.

Same here. Stop driving it before you throw a rod and ruin the block. Rebuild it and be able to say that the car is still numbers matching.

Add another one for having the engine rebuilt. It's only numbers matching once and IMO matching numbers does increase the value of a vehicle, plus you can say it's 100% Vette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom