Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1986 Windshield Wiper Problem

S

ShadowLP

The windshield wipers on my 1986 coupe work only on high speed and do not automatically shut off. I replaced the switch in the door panel thinking that it was the logical fault. It did not resolve the problem. Low speed does not work, intermittent does not work and only when I place them in the High speed mode do they work and then they do not automatically seat when I turn the switch off. Could it be the motor or something else in the wiper system? I would appreciate any suggestions on where to look next.​

It's in the motor. You might as well start looking for another one. You might can fix it, more than likely it just wore out.

JS

Thank you for the confirmation. The motor was next but I did not want to waste the money if there was another area to investigate.

I removed the wiper motor which was easier than I thought and went to my Chevy store for a new one. I deceided to get a rebuilt as it had the same warrenty and I rarely use the wipers as the car is not driven often. When I went to install the new motor I immeditately noticed that the lower electrical conntect on the new motor was a three prong. The 1986 has a two prong. Back to the dealer. The motors should have come with an adaptor. Five motors later, none of the motors have the adaptor. GM is searching for one with an adaptor and I am without wipers. A word to the wise, compare the motors before you buy a replacement and turn in your original motor. At least I had high speed. I am still waiting.

1986 Windshield Wiper problem

Problem was finally fixed. It was the motor and not the controller. The biggest problem that I had was that the rebuilt motor from my Chevy dealer did not have the adaptor to connect the '86 wiring harness to the newer style motor. After five tries I gave up with the dealer. Corvette Central sells the adaptors for about $30.00. Problem fixed. The system works as new.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom