Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1987 coupe -cat converters

A

Alfonso Gomez

;help This car has three catalytic converters. The two small ones on either side are located close to where the pipes connect with the exhaust manifold. I have been told by mechanics that removing these two small ones will relieve back pressure and increase horsepower. Any of you guys has done it? Does it really increase horsepower noticeably?

yes, it will increase power... the factory cats are very restrictive... keep in mind that it is illegal to remove them... also keep in mind that if the shop that removes them gets caught, they are in for a huge fine... but if you can find someone to do it, go for it... I would save the cats though, in case you need to put them back on in the future... they aren't cheap to purchase.

Can't you buy a front Y pipe without the light off cats?

Good luck,

can you still pass emissions with out them cats?

cut them out

Look, the cats really suck on our early C4's. That's the truth....sorry...but it's true. I had 2.5" straight back from the headers....into some 40series flowmasters...and a H pipe up front....no BS. just that. just true duals...and H pipe...

the cats really suck on early C4's. NOT!

I disagree! I ran a test pipe and found no difference in my car's performance. Anyone want one ? I think the EPA (federal) fine for running without a cat is over $5000. :nono

Now I have a new, stock cat behind my hi-perf 406, amid a TPIS 3" exhaust, and I'll match it against ANY aftermarket setup. :cool

TPIS told me I'd see minimal difference using their hi-flow cat. ;worship

Look through the cat and see how much area there is for gases to flow. Then look at how much area exists elsewhere in the system. :duh

If you're having exhaust issues, perhaps your cat is clogged.

:w

emmissions

installed pipes w/o cats, emptied the main cat, car runs better, cooler,and quicker.
and yes, i pass emmissions for the past five years!!!!

Do you even need the cats in Puerto Rico? Do the same EPA laws apply? :confused

_ken :w

Cats in PR???

:mad Yes, Federal laws apply in PR. Especially EPA regulations. PR is a Commonwealth and a US Territory so we have FBI, Secret Service, US Customs, etc. Even the US Postal Service:D
In order to get your annual sticker for your car, it has first to pass inspection in a Government (local) sponsored inspection station. There it has to pass the emission test.:r
Then you can get your sticker that enables you to drive legally the car. Of course, there are ways to go around it. My 1995 Mitsubishi Mirage did not pass emission test 4 times in a row. It was burning oil due to the rubber seals in the valves. So the guy input into the computer my car's information and tested a new BMW that passed with flying colors. It only cost me $20.;)

Most that gut the cat place a pipe through the cat. That way they get to pass EPA when someone looks. And if your car is tuned and all the sensors are working, you should have no problem passing with piped cats.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom