Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 Burnt Fuel Pump Wire In Tank

Corvette
I had a hard starting problem and had to get my car going with a shot of starting fluid....I trouble shot the problem and found out my 1988 had a burnt fuel pump wire in the fuel tank????? How did this not start a fire????Did anyone ever run into this problem? It's the two wires at the connector way down in the tank at the top of the pump. Should I replace the whole unit and not worry? Thanks for any help anyone has........Steve..... :cry

Welcome to the CAC. I don't have an answer for your question hopefully someone will.

Justin

When I replaced my pump I noticed that one of the wires had been very hot at one time. The insulation was partially melted but the wire was still OK. I put it back together with the new pump and it has been running fine for about three years now. I don't know if this is a normal occurrence with this vintage or not.

No Fire?

Yes, replace the whole pump and sending unit assembly - don't put the old one back in. And keep the level in the tank above 1/4 or so. There are several threads on fuel pumps that failed as a result of low level.

Some windy advice from an old safety meeting at work.

Three elements are needed for fire; combustible, temperature and oxidant. In your tank, there was likely not enough oxygen to blow. But if the wires overheated, there was high temp. Lucky once = happy. Count on second luck = explosion.

Gasoline fumes ignite readily at 14:1 weight ratio with oxygen and more easily as the compression ratio goes above atmospheric. But gasoline liquid ignition temperature is nearly the same as paper (remember Farenheit 451?). So when gas is spilled on the hot block or when the wires overheat in the tank, fire is often prevented by the fortunate lack of oxygen ratio (fumes) or high temperature(liquid).

Many kerosene heater fires result from spills while filling a hot unit. Even though gasoline liquid's ignition temperature is relatively high (about 450F), kerosene will ingite below 250F.

PS Welcome to a great site.

A little insight into the upper and lower limits of vapor explosibility/flammability:

Vapor explosibility tests determine the Upper and Lower Explosive Limits (UEL and LEL) as well as the Upper and Lower Flammable Limits (UFL and LFL). These limits are the vapor concentrations that allow combustion and/or explosion of the vapor when mixed in air.

From Fike Corp.:

Liquids and Gases - Ambient Conditions. Upper flammable limit (UFL) and lower flammable limit (LFL) of liquid or gaseous chemicals in air at ambient pressure and temperature. Maximum Oxygen Concentration (MOC) also available.

Limits of Flammability

Liquids and Gases - Elevated Pressure & Temperature. Upper flammable limit (UFL) and lower flammable limit (LFL) of gaseous chemicals in air at elevated pressure and/or temperature (>1 atm, 70 degrees F). Maximum Oxygen Concentration (MOC) also available.

Limits of Flammability

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom