Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 C4 Paint Code Help

cajuncorvette

Corvette
1988 Corvette Coupe - Bright Red
Thanks for your help and advice. I have a 1988 C4 -- it is red, but I'm not sure exactly what shade of red. It was repainted at some point by the previous owner, and I am thinking it was done with the original factory color as there is no mismatch in the door jams, bumper areas, etc. With that being said, here are a few questions I am hoping you may be able to help with:

1) Where is the paint code located on a 1988? I have the code WA-8774, but that is from a website. I want to verify this code before I order another touch up paint and get it wrong.
2) The code I ordered two weeks ago was GM 81: Bright Red.
On another site, the paint code is WA-8774, but the color is listed as Flame Red Clearcoat. Is there a difference? Is the Flame Red a bit darker than Bright Red?
If so, maybe that is what I need, as the Bright Red I ordered is a bit too light/orange.

Thanks for helping me sort this out! Have a great weekend!

Thanks for your help and advice. I have a 1988 C4 -- it is red, but I'm not sure exactly what shade of red. It was repainted at some point by the previous owner, and I am thinking it was done with the original factory color as there is no mismatch in the door jams, bumper areas, etc. With that being said, here are a few questions I am hoping you may be able to help with:

1) Where is the paint code located on a 1988? I have the code WA-8774, but that is from a website. I want to verify this code before I order another touch up paint and get it wrong.
2) The code I ordered two weeks ago was GM 81: Bright Red.
On another site, the paint code is WA-8774, but the color is listed as Flame Red Clear-coat. Is there a difference? Is the Flame Red a bit darker than Bright Red?
If so, maybe that is what I need, as the Bright Red I ordered is a bit too light/orange.

Thanks for helping me sort this out! Have a great weekend!

The paint code is located in the rear compartment on about 2 1/2 X3 1/2 inch white tag with All the RPO codes!!:thumb
attachment.php

My guess your code is Code 81 WA8774 (Bright Red) It's the only Red used in 1988!! However it is a Clear Coat color and will look Darker after the clear is applied!!:thumb
I also included Reds for 87 and 89! (Cv) down below the color by the color name means it was used on Corvette!!(It's hard to see!)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope this helps!!:thumb

Thanks for the great information. I had forgotten about the clear coat issue. I do have a clear coat paint pen I could try to see if the paint darkens with application. I do think the car was repainted in the correct color (Code 81 -- Bright Red), so it is probably the clear coat factor. I'll try and post the results. Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Good luck!
If that doesn't work. You might try printing off the colors above and placing them on the car to see what matches best. Make sure you do this outside in the sun to get the closest match.

if its not to late to help that code and i'm sitting here looking at my console top is a flame red certified by my body man and the local chevy dealership code wa-l8774

that thing that looks like a 1 is really a L
Yeah,The L stands for Lower on your RPO tag!! If it was 2 tone,then there would be another WA # with it, with a U for Upper!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

hey junkie do you have any idea where i can get some info on my ducting on my 88 it has the electronic heat controls every thing works except the divertor.i've been trying to do a search with google and all i get is ebay listings ,when it warms up a little bit i'm gonna pull the dash and do a visual and see if i can tell whats binding up when you go from defrost to heat to bilevel you can here a pop then air comes out of every orifice in the car its not electrical it's a mechanial noise so i bet i've got a bushing out somehwere thats binding up any direction you can give me would ba a big help

hey junkie do you have any idea where i can get some info on my ducting on my 88 it has the electronic heat controls every thing works except the divertor.i've been trying to do a search with google and all i get is ebay listings ,when it warms up a little bit i'm gonna pull the dash and do a visual and see if i can tell whats binding up when you go from defrost to heat to bilevel you can here a pop then air comes out of every orifice in the car its not electrical it's a mechanial noise so i bet i've got a bushing out somehwere thats binding up any direction you can give me would ba a big help
My guess,it's a broken clip on the linkage to 1 or more of the vacuum servos that moves doors to divert air in the duct work!! There just plastic and dry out and crumble over time!!:thumb It won't be expensive parts wise,But I can assure you it will be a "PITA"!!!:hb:hb:hb You will have to remove a good portion of the dash to get to them!!:D:D:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom