Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 center cap lock

Y

ynot08

I'm new to the site and new to the corvette world. I just purchased a 1988 35th anniversaryand the previous owner lost the tool for the wheel center caps. Can anyone tell me if that was original equiptment and if so where I could find a replacement. Thanks

Hi i have an 89 not an aniversary but i think the center cap tool came with the car. I am not sure myself if they are different according to your vin # or just the one tool can take off anybody's center caps. But anyway a dealer should have the part. Sorry i can not be of more help, also welcome to the sight if you need to find out anything this is the site you will find it out everybody is very helpful and usually give you some kind of ans pretty quick like i tryed doing. Good luck with your car and welcome.
Rich

Thanks Rich thanks for your fast reply I checked with the dealer and they want to sell me a new set of locks. But I still need to get the old one's off before I really need to get them off. Thanks again Tony

There were a number of different lock patterns used for the 88-89 Center Cap type locks.

http://www.mcgard.com

They made the puzzle locks for that year. If you call customer service tell them your story and they may help you out. They may give you the brush off and tell you to contact a GM dealer.

Be persistent. Tell them the dealer said the car is to old and can't help you.
If you get lucky you can fax or e-mail a tracing or picture of the lock pattern and they will send you the proper tool to remove the locks.

Thanks I called mcgard and the did just what you said. I sent them a picture and they are sending me the tool for 14.95 Thanks for the info.

Good Info!

I went through this a little less than a year ago. Had the tool but it was worn and would only remove three of the four center cap lock bolts. Which tire did I pick up a nail in? Of course, the one with the unremovable center cap lock bolt? :ugh Took it to a local Corvette shop who had to drill off the top. Replaced it with a hex head metric bolt from the local True Value. Couldn't find just the tool. Only a new set of lock bolts with the tool. Sound like a sad story? Not so fast. While I was at the local Corvette Shop I told the owner I would just get a bolt from the hardware store since I had plans to get some ZR-1 wheels anyway. He said, Really? I have a set of chrome ZR-1s with Goodyear GSCs on consignment. Long story short - take a look at my avatar!:upthumbs

Center lock

Thanks for the info the tool is on the way from mcgard hope it works. Nice ride. Tony

I went through this a little less than a year ago. Had the tool but it was worn and would only remove three of the four center cap lock bolts. Which tire did I pick up a nail in? Of course, the one with the unremovable center cap lock bolt? :ugh Took it to a local Corvette shop who had to drill off the top. Replaced it with a hex head metric bolt from the local True Value. Couldn't find just the tool. Only a new set of lock bolts with the tool. Sound like a sad story? Not so fast. While I was at the local Corvette Shop I told the owner I would just get a bolt from the hardware store since I had plans to get some ZR-1 wheels anyway. He said, Really? I have a set of chrome ZR-1s with Goodyear GSCs on consignment. Long story short - take a look at my avatar!:upthumbs

Had the same problem when I bought my 88 coupe. Was lucky to find in all the paperwork that came with the car the Mcgard decal and was able to use this to order a new key. Took only 3 days and was the right key.:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom