Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1988 corvette question

88canadianvette

i just bought my first vette. its an 88" with a L98 engine. is there any major problems found with this year ? thanks for any info.

A major problem is, once you start driving it you won't be able to stop and park it for any length of time.

Other year Vettes have the same problem too as many owners have found out.

It is very costly to repair and can cost as much as a marriage if the problem is very serious. Be prepared and get all your available time in position.
:L :L :bu

Outside of the fact of its age, and wear and tear, a 1988 still used a Mass Air Flow sensor. When those go out, the car will run really really bad if at all.

I suggest you get a G.M. service manual and a code scanner/reader as basic equipment. You will want to be able to read the electronic readings from the engine, and have the manual to assist you in repairing the problems.

I would say your biggest problem will just be nailing down the electronics when they fail or have intermittent errors.

Enjoy the car. 1988 was a great year. You have the same offset on the wheels as they used up to 96, so you can interchange with a variety of rims. Your heads are aluminum and you have a roller camshaft, and one piece rear main oil seal.

nyernga said:
and if by chance you have the 4+3 overdrive transmission then make sure your cd's are close to maturity....:w
:L :L :L
Nice one !!!
I have to remember that one....

i have the code reader already.so the 4+3 trannys are bad eh? how come?

I haven't had any major problems with my 88' except for those EPA tests. But I think it's more because of age, the car being 14 years old, you're going to have to replace things.

Welcome

In reality the 1988 like all Tuned Port system are very reliable. As to the comments about the 4+3 tranny, it is a good working system. Problems with the overdrive can come into play because the automatic "Up & Down" shifting by the computer puts extra stress on overdrive parts. You can remedy this by having the computer chip reprogrammed to have this eliminated. Should you ever discover that your overdrive system is not operating properly, repairs in the form of a rebuild does not cost as much as you have been led to believe. David Fulcher here in Atlanta is the man to handle this problem. He charges $350 labor plus parts. Most repairs are under $600 on average. David is considered to be one of the two or three best Corvette men in the country.

I would keep my eye open and check your intake for coolant leaks. Also checking your oil level regularly may help to alert you to such a leak as the oil sometimes will change its color to a darkish brown and have the appearence of a "milk shake" consistancy. This occurs due to the mixing of coolant and oil together. These leaks come into play between 40k and 80k miles.

Mass air sensor was mentioned but it too rarely fails. I would just plan a regular yearly series of checks as you would any car that is driven daily. Your owners manual has all the details for the most part. If you do not have a manual, anyone here that owns a L98 will gladly post you with a check list.

Good luck...............Enjoy your car!

Stan

I would get all the fluids changed. Especially the overdrive fluid. Change the O.D. fluid annually or every 10,000 miles. That is good insurance. A lot of people keep it turned off around town.

Good luck.

Paul G said:
I would get all the fluids changed. Especially the overdrive fluid. Change the O.D. fluid annually or every 10,000 miles. That is good insurance. A lot of people keep it turned off around town.

Good luck.

Well said Paul! I think that changing the fluids is definitely the best and cheapest insurance you can buy. Feed your baby well with premium gas, maintain the fluid changes and everything will just be all right!

ok then. thank you for the information.i will check all the fluids on a regular basis.

Yes! You get ill, you have.................................................CORVETTEFEVER!

definitly change all fluids!!! my trans (auto) blew up at only 22k!!prior owners said it was changed. it looked good but the trans went. also, bleed the brakes and change that fluid too!!! all in all its a great year and an awesome car!! have fun!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom