Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1989 Vette, Auto or 6 Speed.

1989 406

Corvette
1989 406
Had an 89 with an automatic in it. Looking now at 89s and not sure if I should go 6 speed this time.

How do they compare?

Thanks.

The six speed is a blast.Nice gear selction in city driving.They are a little more work driving in the city.Good gas milage as a bonus if you keep your foot out of it. Six speeds usually bring a little more money.

Glenn
:w

Thanks

Thanks for your input. I remember in the 80s GM transmissions were not to good, the automatics seemed better, I have never driven a 6 speen in that year and I believe they were much better then the rest of the manuels in that time frame.

The 6-speed tranny is a ZF unit. They are a good tranny and will take a fair amount of power. Expect a little noise from them but it's typical given the dual-mass flywheel. Shifting effort is smooth and there are some great aftermarket shifters available for them. 6th gear is (IIRC) .50:1 so it is really a cruising gear for speeds above 65 or so. The car reaches its top speed in 5th.

C4cruiser is pretty much dead on. On open road anything below 50 if you climb any sort of hill you may go for 5th gear. No hill cruising 5th is good down to about 40 till you need to excellerat in any reasonable amount of time.I also find at 60 on two lane roads if you want to pass you need 5th. Around town I use 1st to third and sometimes then to 4th for the most part.The only bad part is the jerks that think they need to be a foot from your bumper at an uphill stoplight.

Glenn
:w:lou

You will love the six speed. Just make sure that you install a CAGS eliminator plug to avoid the annoying (1st to 4th program) and allow you to shift through all the gears at any time.

1989 BLOWNCONV VETTE said:
Had an 89 with an automatic in it. Looking now at 89s and not sure if I should go 6 speed this time.

How do they compare?

Thanks.

:Steer :Steer :Steer :Steer :Steer :Steer :Steer :Steer :Steer

I absolutely love my 89 with a 6-speed. There is nothing like dropping it down into 4th and feeling that Torque Monster come alive in the engine bay.

Heck, with the gas prices being what they are, its also nice that my vette averages 24 mpg. I've gotten 30 mpg on highway trips too.

EOLIVER said:
Just make sure that you install a CAGS eliminator plug to avoid the annoying (1st to 4th program) and allow you to shift through all the gears at any time.

Nah, don't worry about that. Put enough pedal to the metal and you'll skip the CAGS without the plug. :L

I think it depends on your driving. Are you going to be in traffic or open roads. Don't know how bad traffic is in Philly but I wouldn't want to drive a 6 speed here in Chicago.

I don't think it's that GM transmissions were bad in the 80's, they're just that much better today and it seems like the 80's units were bad, which they weren't.

The next vette I purchase, if I stay in the C4 generation is an 89 coupe with a six speed. Not sure yet if I want to get a C5 or not. But that is a long ways away for me.

I wish I bought a 6 speed... for the costs of rebuilding mine ect... I probably could have..
-=Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom