Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1990 Corvette starts then dies

jtpgencon

Corvette
1990 Dark Red Coupe
Need help with my 1990 corvette it starts for a second then it dies, if it sits for a few hours it will start. then take it for a ride for 10 miles shut it off then it does the same thing. its at the dealer right now and they thinks its the key and ignition code. someting to do with the key code and security any suggestions

I'm not sure I follow. What has the VATS got to do with this? When I tape up the VATS key it would not even crank.

Have you checked fuel pressure? When it dies, does it have spark when you crank it?

I have a 1990 also. Sounds like the multech injector(s) may be going. Check the resistance (ohmn) first on each injector. They should read 16.5 ohmns...+/- .5 tolerance. Mine did the same thing..ran great cold but as soon as it got hot would sputter and die...got worse with time. Had one injector at 3 ohmns and the rest were in the 12-14 range (cold).

Keep us posted on what the dealer discovers. VATS would not be high on my list. Just like unclebill pointed out, check the injector values. The prior owner of my 1989 had a similar issue to yours and the dealer replaced all 8 injectors. Check fuel pressure and spark as recommneded by aklim. If the throttle body hasn't been cleaned, I would remove it and make sure the IAC is clean and working properly. Would also check the ECM (not dash gauge) temp sensor.

Now multible problems

The dealer change the ignition and that did not work, I knew it wasn't going to work. The good thing is that he did not charge me for the service he preformed. He had no answer to the problem. I was driving the car from Flagstaff AZ to Las Vegas yesterday and the car died in Kingman AZ had to have it towed to another dealer in Kingman. same thing starts then dies.
Here is the list of issues I have now.
ABS Service light is on.
LTPWS Service light is on
Air bag and seatbelt light are on.
SYS flashes in the LCD screen
AC does not work the green lights flash on the unit and the air flow is stuck at floor and defrost.
engine idles rough.
WOW car will be great when its fixed, this is may 3rd Vette I just bought this one a week ago. Its going to take a little work.

Start with that one.
You have a CCM , another computer that checks non engine functions.
"The Central Control Module (CCM) controls several electronic systems on your Corvette. A code setting malfunction in any of the CCM-monitored systems is indicated by "SYS" (SYSTEM ERROR) flashing in the instrument cluster trip monitor"

You need to pull the codes , that will point you closer to your problem.
http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/codes.htm

When I talk to the dealer today I will give them the info. I will update the thread as I find out what they say.

I had same problem with an 89, you may need to replace the maf burn off relays above the battery on the firewall, there is a service bulletin on the website to this matter

The dealer change the ignition and that did not work, I knew it wasn't going to work. The good thing is that he did not charge me for the service he preformed. He had no answer to the problem. I was driving the car from Flagstaff AZ to Las Vegas yesterday and the car died in Kingman AZ had to have it towed to another dealer in Kingman. same thing starts then dies.
Here is the list of issues I have now.
ABS Service light is on.
LTPWS Service light is on
AC does not work the green lights flash on the unit and the air flow is stuck at floor and defrost.
engine idles rough.
WOW car will be great when its fixed, this is may 3rd Vette I just bought this one a week ago. Its going to take a little work.

You are having your problrms for sure. Lets take one at a time. As I suggested; lets check the injector (ohmn) resistance first. If this is the problem; a injector swap is reqd. Great results from Jon at FIC 770-888-1662 can give you a great price on a set of Bosch III rebuilds...$169.95. The ABS and LTPWS default could just be a loose connection....your brakes will STILL work properly and not a serious problem for driveability at this point.The air bag system and seat belt lite come on together when MOST likely a bad gound frame rail sensor happens(very common problem on the 1990). You have to pull codes...under driver dash is your hook up for this...3rd terminal (K Pin) from right..2nd row....use a wire to slip in here and ground to frame rail of seat...your IFL REST. lite will blink 3 times code 12(one long..2 short) then comes the default codes...the problem code will most likely be code 26 ...right frame rail(passenger side) as this was the most common problem.....the default codes will blink 3 times and if there is another default code; it will follow and when the default codes are finished; the code 12 will blink 3 times to finish the retreaval of codes. Need this info first before I can direct you to how to fix and clear codes. Now for the A/C...try going to AUTO button and set your temp arrow button down then go to your vent setting.If you dont have a FSM; get one but in the mean time I can e mail you copies of the problems that you will encounter as we check out each problem.
Bill

I had same problem with an 89, you may need to replace the maf burn off relays above the battery on the firewall, there is a service bulletin on the website to this matter

1990 is Speed Density and not MAF..

OK, update from the chevy dealer. when I purchased the car last week the car fuel gage was on reserve the dealer filled it up for me, its seem that the fuel system pulled all the crap off the bottom of the fuel tank and sent it through the fuel system. fuel pump only had 40lbs of pressure so they are going to clean out the tank and change the pump and clean the fuel system including the injectors. the dealer is looking into the other issues I stated I will keep the updates going as I get them.
Thanks for the replies.

the fuel system pulled all the crap off the bottom of the fuel tank and sent it through the fuel system. fuel pump only had 40lbs of pressure ................ including the injectors. .
Maybe.
There is a filter to stop dirt getting to the injectors so unless it is free I would not be paying to service those just yet.
Max stock fuel pressure is only 43psi; regulator pulls pressure down below that at idle / cruise so I don't see that as a factor either.

Update on current repairs of the 1990 Vette:
Changed fuel pump
Changed dist and rotor
Changed fuel injectors
Changed Alt
Car runs great but I have some questions on CCM codes and Airbag code
infl rest code I get is 35 anyone no what this has to do with
CCM Codes
C 13
H 13 H72 H73
thanks for any help on these codes

Need help with my 1990 corvette it starts for a second then it dies, if it sits for a few hours it will start. then take it for a ride for 10 miles shut it off then it does the same thing. its at the dealer right now and they thinks its the key and ignition code. someting to do with the key code and security any suggestions

What's the name of the dealer? This is a GM dealership, that THINKS the key is a problem??? ;squint:

'Ignition code', they said? Which one - the one in the phase-link plasma generator, or the one in the flux capacitor?

Did they put anything in writing? Can you post it up here?

What's the name of the dealer? This is a GM dealership, that THINKS the key is a problem??? ;squint:

'Ignition code', they said? Which one - the one in the phase-link plasma generator, or the one in the flux capacitor?

Did they put anything in writing? Can you post it up here?

It was a GM dealer in Flagstaff AZ Tyrrell - Marxen, they changed the VATS because it was spliced but that was not going to solve the problem. I tried to drive it back to Las Vegas but the car die in Kingman AZ. Had it towed to the GM dealer Findlay in Kingman they replaced:
Fuel Pump ( it was at a 20lbs pressure)
ECM replaced
Dist and rotor ( the person I bought it from steam cleaned the engine and it was wet inside)
Fuel injectors replaced
Alt, plugs, wires, PVC valve was replaced by me.
Car runs great now but still have problems with SYS flashing and air bag & seat belt lights stay on.

Update on current repairs of the 1990 Vette:
Changed fuel pump
Changed dist and rotor
Changed fuel injectors
Changed Alt
Car runs great but I have some questions on CCM codes and Airbag code
infl rest code I get is 35 anyone no what this has to do with
CCM Codes
C 13
H 13 H72 H73
thanks for any help on these codes

SIR code 35 is an open circuit in the inflator squib. Try resetting the codes and see if this helps. It is a very precise procedure and may take several tries.

CCM code 13 (C for current fault, H for history) shows the fault "DIC switches open or shorted to B+."
72 - LCD Dimming output circuit open or shorted to ground.
73 - LED display dimming output circuit shorted to B+ or CCM Driver open.

There is no easy way to get to the CCM to check connections, but you can snake your hand in from the drivers side footwell after removing the tunnel carpet and use the approved "wiggle" method on the connectors and see if that clears the problems.

SIR code 35 is an open circuit in the inflator squib. Try resetting the codes and see if this helps. It is a very precise procedure and may take several tries.

CCM code 13 (C for current fault, H for history) shows the fault "DIC switches open or shorted to B+."
72 - LCD Dimming output circuit open or shorted to ground.
73 - LED display dimming output circuit shorted to B+ or CCM Driver open.

There is no easy way to get to the CCM to check connections, but you can snake your hand in from the drivers side footwell after removing the tunnel carpet and use the approved "wiggle" method on the connectors and see if that clears the problems.
I reset the SIR came back on after a minute same code 35. I did reset CCM and tightend down post behind battery I no longer have code 72, 73. still have code 13 on module 1 and 13 on module 4

I reset the SIR came back on after a minute same code 35. I did reset CCM and tightend down post behind battery I no longer have code 72, 73. still have code 13 on module 1 and code 13 on module 4
The service engine soon light comes on after about 10 minutes of driving, when I shut the car off it goes off.

The service engine soon light comes on after about 10 minutes of driving, when I shut the car off it goes off.

10 minutes is warm-up time - closed loop operation - and that's when the ECM checks all sensors and measured systems.

Get a part replaced at the shop (no diagnostics done, of course), and you pick up a cold car, drive off, no problem. Car goes closed loop, PROBLEM.

You've replaced a lot of parts. IMO, you should buy the factory shop manual, and a multimeter.

I reset the SIR came back on after a minute same code 35. I did reset CCM and tightend down post behind battery I no longer have code 72, 73. still have code 13 on module 1 and 13 on module 4

Code 13 on module 4 (ECM) is for an O2 sensor fault. Check the wires for burns or melting, otherwise, pull the sensor and replace.

From the FSM for CCM code 13...
Check for poor connections at the CCM and the DIC which could cause an open or intermittent fault.
It's a pain, but pull the DIC and check the connections.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom