Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1990 corvette

V

vette 53

Hi, guys I am new to this,, I have a 1990 corvette,, was driving great till one day while I was driving it, started to cut out,, it took me a while to get to 10 klms a hour,,, keep cuuting out,,, but engine, keep running,, finally got it home, changed dist. and rotter,, they looked bad, changed spark plugs,, it startes runs rough,, but when I push the gas dies,,,any ideas,, just bought it in nov,, like I said I am new to this, and would appreicate any help...Thanks

Hi, guys I am new to this,, I have a 1990 corvette,, was driving great till one day while I was driving it, started to cut out,, it took me a while to get to 10 klms a hour,,, keep cuuting out,,, but engine, keep running,, finally got it home, changed dist. and rotter,, they looked bad, changed spark plugs,, it startes runs rough,, but when I push the gas dies,,,any ideas,, just bought it in nov,, like I said I am new to this, and would appreicate any help...Thanks
I'd check the fuel pressure,Kinda sounds like the fuel pump is going south!!:upthumbs

you can smell the fuel,,, just not taking the gas,,,,now it starts and dies,,,

First thing that comes to mind is the alternator, this is the weak link on this car and can cause all kinds of symptoms just like the one you describe. A failing alternator will not charge your battery properly, so what happens is that the alternator works overtime to charge the battery, accelerating the problem and making it burn out faster. This is why when I owned c4s I always changed out the alternator and the battery at the same time (if the battery was newer I would fully charge it).

Have you checked the fuel injectors? The resistance should be 16 ohms. The original fuel injectors (at least in my 1990) are gray. If they're original you can plan on changing them at some point regardless.

gook luck...
Scott

Is the service engine soon light on?

comes on then goes away,,, happened a few times,,,

Hi Vette 53!! Sorry you're having issues but you've come to the right place for guidance to resolve them. These folks are tops!

When you have time (and less worries) post a thread in the New Member Introductions Forum (Click) and give our community a chance to stop by and say hello.

Also, here are a couple of links you may find interesting:
The Corvette Action Center Tech Center and the Corvette Action Center Model Center which includes a link to the 1990 Corvette Model Center.

Good luck with the issue - hope you can fix it fast!
:wJane Ann

I'd check the fuel pressure,Kinda sounds like the fuel pump is going south!!:upthumbs
Replace fuel filter also , prob original.
Under car on frame below passanger feet.

when I unplug alteranator it runs well then plug back in runs rough,, tryed new alternator,, same thing,,,puzzled

batt is fine,, and so is alteranator,,,maybe computer,,or wire,,, dont know, does anyone have any more ideas?

when I unplug alteranator it runs well then plug back in runs rough,, tryed new alternator,, same thing,,,puzzled

batt is fine,, and so is alteranator,,,maybe computer,,or wire,,, dont know, does anyone have any more ideas?

has anyone had this problem or know what it might be,,,??? please help....

I think the gentleman aboved ( Junk) had asked to check the fuel Pressure.

That should be done with a fuel pressure gauge at the fuel rail.

You should have around 40 psi on the gauge.

That would be my first step before I started checking computers, wiring etc.

A gas engine only needs three things to run, fuel-air-spark.
Try and eliminate each item. Fuel being the first.

Just my opinion.

yes but when I unplug alterator it runs fine,,, how would that be a fuel problem?

and computer checked out okay,, new fuel filter,, was put on,

yes but when I unplug alterator it runs fine,,, how would that be a fuel problem?

well its a place to start. The fuel pump is electric. So far you have spent money and still have no results. In reading the post you have changed

1. Battery
2. Alternator
3. Fuel filter
4. Cap and rotor

and still have the same issue. You say it runs and dies ... that sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Now maybe its a fuel pump, fuel pump relay, or some other magical device in the fuel system I dunno.

However, always check the basics, fuel air spark.

Does the voltage drop across the battery when you attach the alternator ? If so it may be spark related. The end goal if you can't find out what it is , is to determine what it isn't. Therefore, 40 PSI of fuel at the rail would eliminate a long list of items.

Checking for about 13.5 volts across the battery while running would eliminate many items as well.

If you have those 2 .. well that tells us a LOT :thumb

Could be a short in the alternator . It could be drawing enough current to rob the ignition.;shrug
Take the alternator in and have it checked.

Glenn

Clean every ground you can find. Also check the battery cables, one may be dirty or corroded where the end is attatched to the cable. On another car with an ECM I had a dirty battery connection and it would sputter and die for no apparent reason.
Also be sure the ground at the back of the engine is connected.It is either attached to the head or to a bell housing bolt.

Glenn
:w

well found the problem ECM, is bad,,, and a wire was broken also going to the alternator,, anyway,, its working now,,,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom