Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1990 with strange knocking sound- please help?

Skiracin

Hello, Let me start by saying I am new to the forum- my apologies if I have misplaced this post.

I have a 1990 Convertible with just under 11,000 original miles. I have owned it since new, it's never been abused. I typically drive the car short mileage- to/from dinner under 20 miles each way. The car has been stored winters (upstate NY) and been babied.

I recently took it on a little longer drive, about 50 miles each way via highway. Speeds never exceeded 70MPH. When I returned home, upon pulling into my garage I noticed an alarming knocking noise.

It's almost identical to this:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...king-only-@-idle-only-after-car-warms-up.html

I do have an iPhone video of my actual vehicle, I need to figure out how to post it here though.

I parked the car and worried overnight... upon starting the next day, no knock. I let it idle for 10+ minutes and nothing. I drove it around my subdivision (less than 20mph, maybe half a mile) and the knock returned. I have since replicated this several times, again not until it's driven does it knock.

I've also had an issue after the knock where the car will not restart when hot. It cranks but does not fire. Again- only when hot. It fires after it's cooled. The dealer has replicated this and traced it to a "no spark" condition. They also identified several "suspect" fuel injectors in the process of this exploration.

I've had it into my dealer, they are concerned it could be one of 2 things per their diagnosis: 1. ECU/Injector replacement or 2. Lower end. They can not pinpoint it any further than that, and can not assure me that spending money on either will rectify the issue. I am about $600 +/- into this diagnosis with my dealer and don't have any solid answers. Taking the pan off to look at the lower end is another $400 +/- and the ECU/Injectors is being priced as I post this.

I've researched this online, yet have not found any answers on what folks have found. If anyone has any ideas, thoughts, suggestions on my next move I am welcome to hearing them.

Cheers,
Stefan

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom