Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1990 ZR-1 / LT-5 engine

• Thread starter Thread starter lt1george
  • Start date Start date
L

lt1george

Can someone please tell me for sure if the 1990 ZR-1 engine block has the drain hole for the strarted so water does not collect by starter. The covette technician at the local Chevy Corvette Dealer says it does not have it. I have told him that I read a post here, that I believe Rob wrote about a month ago that said the hole is there . Can someone please help and confirm for sure .Thank you. Save the Wave.>George

lt1george said:
Can someone please tell me for sure if the 1990 ZR-1 engine block has the drain hole for the strarted so water does not collect by starter. The covette technician at the local Chevy Corvette Dealer says it does not have it.

It does have it, it got bored out to make it a bit larger in the later years.

lt1george said:
Can someone please tell me for sure if the 1990 ZR-1 engine block has the drain hole for the strarted so water does not collect by starter. The covette technician at the local Chevy Corvette Dealer says it does not have it. I have told him that I read a post here, that I believe Rob wrote about a month ago that said the hole is there . Can someone please help and confirm for sure .Thank you. Save the Wave.>George

The hole is there and I saw it with my own eyes under the starter of my 1990. As JeffVette already pointed out, the size was increased in later model years.

The problem with the earlier version is that if water and enough road salts and debris get in there, an amalgam can form thus blocking the hole. If the hole gets blocked, any water that gets up in the engine compartment can find its way into the valley of the engine. If the engine isn't hot enough to burn it off, it can sit there and eventually corrode the starter contacts.

Originally posted by Rob
The problem with the earlier version is that if water and enough road salts and debris get in there, an amalgam can form thus blocking the hole. If the hole gets blocked, any water that gets up in the engine compartment can find its way into the valley of the engine. If the engine isn't hot enough to burn it off, it can sit there and eventually corrode the starter contacts.

[Hint:] Everytime I do an oil change on my ZR and it's up on the ramps, I blow a little compressed air from my portable air tank up through the small 3/8" sliver drain tube coming from that drain hole. The drain tube exits between the oil pan and bellhousing on the passenger side of the engine tucked up in the gap.
Keeps it Nice and Clear. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom