Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1992 CD Player Malfunction

Newfydad

Corvette
1992 Black Rose LT1-ZF6
I've tried using the CD player in my '92 coupe a few dozen times. It usually just displays "ERR" and spits the CDs back out, which seems to indicate it cant read the CDs. One time it worked perfectly and sounded really good with several different CDs.
I did a search but all I could find was there were issues with CD players around that vintage. Does anyone know the causes, or more important, how to make 'em play? Linkage or a dusty laser, maybe? I'm a retired electronic tech so I'm not afraid to tear it apart....but it sure would be nice to have some hints instead of working blind. Thanks.

Rod

Does the CD player reject all CDs or just the ones that were burned in a computer? Both my 91 and 94 bose occassionally played the computer burned CDs but mostly the error message was displayed. Both always played the store purchased CDs. The technology is different in recording CDs for computers than it is for commercial ones. It is my understanding that the C4 bose CD player has a lot of trouble with the computer burned CDs. You might check out using the two types of CDs to confirm this, I did and it was true. If your player rejects the purchased CDs, your unit is malfunctioning and you should send it to Dr. Don for repair.
Barrett

Well my story is a little different, mine would not accept CDs at all. Sent it in to be repaired by Same Day Auto audio service. They upgraded the mechanism to read CDRs, I could have had a jack put in to plug an IPod or MP3 player in at the same time....but I didn't do it (don't ask me why, I should have).

Well my story is a little different, mine would not accept CDs at all. Sent it in to be repaired by Same Day Auto audio service. They upgraded the mechanism to read CDRs, I could have had a jack put in to plug an IPod or MP3 player in at the same time....but I didn't do it (don't ask me why, I should have).

The radio in my 92 started skipping then wouldn't accept Cds.
I sent it in for an estimate for the same problem.They wanted to replace some drive system ?...in the end I installed a new radio with all the gimmicks.
:beer

It wont play store-bought CDs (except once). If its problematic because of a design fault then it may be best to just save time and effort and scrap it to install a high-end radio/CD. As long as it can be done without looking like a hack job.....

It wont play store-bought CDs (except once). If its problematic because of a design fault then it may be best to just save time and effort and scrap it to install a high-end radio/CD. As long as it can be done without looking like a hack job.....

That's what my tech told me so I bought a new radio :beer

Mine started to Skip after playng for a couple hours.I guess it got too Hot maybe???

your unit is malfunctioning and you should send it to Dr. Don for repair.
Barrett

What Red Vette said...:thumb If your concerned about keeping the car original, Dr. Dons in Texas does outstanding work in my opinion. Very fast turn arouond. They helped me... my radio sounds great now.

Kev,

The guy at same day auto audio repair service told me that the so called "upgrade" so that the bose cd player will play burned cd's is a gimmick. It will play cd-r's as is and the other repair places that charge for this is a scam. I dont know if its true because when I bought my vette the cd player didnt work so I sent it to him and when I got it back it played them fine with no problems and no xtra cost. By the way "same day" has the best prices on the net...i payed $250 for my radio and 3 amps to be repaired including shipping both ways. It took 8 days to get it back, 6 of those days the equipment was in transit.
just my .02

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom