Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1993 C4 convertible wont start

norwegianvette

Corvette
1993 Aqua Convertible
Hi. Had a shorted battery, all needles went high up on the dash and the alternator went very hot. When cooled down the car started and i drove it home and garaged it for the winter. I now replaced the alternator to be on the safe side and installed a new battery. Car crank, everything looks normal but it wont fire at all. Any ideas or solutions from Corvette owners been down that lane?

Thanks and regards,
Steve

I might have explained this problem porly so i try to give you guys and girls some more inputs. During driving the car started to feel strange so i pulled over. All instrument needles peeked including the rpm and even the speedometer did not show normal reading. As soon as i pulled over the car engine stopped. i checked under the bonnet and everything looked normal so i tried to start the car again which it did. After a short ride the instruments went crazy and the engine stopped again. This time i noticed that the alternator was very hot so i thought there is the problem. When everything was cooled down after a long wait the car started and i drow it carefully home and garaged it as it was end of season and winter on its way here in Norway. I bought a new alternator during the wintar and installed it now in the spring. Battery was flat and when charging it with a gharger i noticed that it would not take charge. Kept the charger on and tried to start the car and even then it wouldn crank so i presume that the battery was shorted and completey ruined. New battery was ordered and installed today. Everything lights up and everything looks normal. Crank like it suppose to nut noth even a cough from the engine. Just like no spark at all, crank and get oilpressure but no sign of ignition. As you all know it is a pain even taking out one spark plug from the LT1 so before taking things apart i cry out here for help. For info, new MSD optispark, coil, ignition module, spark wires and an AL6 multispark module installed. So to make this short. Drove it in to the garage, replaced faulty parts and now it wont start.

Thanks and regards,
Steve

FYI....I used to repair the MSD's on a friends race car a lot. For some reason the connections would always go bad internally and the car wouldn't fire. I asked him why this was but he didn't know. Anyway, he had about three of them that I worked on and they were all bad. Fixing the internal connections they worked fine? Just a thought.

Thanks. Which part of the MSD? Have full set with coil, AL6 multispark and the distributer + leads.

Regards,
Steve

FYI....I used to repair the MSD's on a friends race car a lot. For some reason the connections would always go bad internally and the car wouldn't fire. I asked him why this was but he didn't know. Anyway, he had about three of them that I worked on and they were all bad. Fixing the internal connections they worked fine? Just a thought.

Hooked up my tech II and there is no codes. Strange :( I will check the fuel pump next to see if i get gas to the engine but a faulty pump or relay should give i code i guess.

Last edited:
Gee, it was a long time ago. All I can remember it was a box that had heat sink cooling fins on it with big red letters "MSD"? I remember taking it apart and fixing connections. Can't remember if it was soldered connections or mechanical but I remember them being bad.

I keep that in mind. I first have to check if the fuel pump is working. With the noise from the power ariel i cant hear if the pump is activating when i turn o the ignition.

Gee, it was a long time ago. All I can remember it was a box that had heat sink cooling fins on it with big red letters "MSD"? I remember taking it apart and fixing connections. Can't remember if it was soldered connections or mechanical but I remember them being bad.

A fuel pressure gauge is your best bet. I hooked one up a while ago when I was having a problem with my fuel pressure regulator which by the way went bad on me some years ago. On the fuel rail is a schrader valve, depress it just a millisecond with a small screw driver and a rag over it of course to see if you at the very least have pressure.

Update. I took the fuse for theradio out to stop the arial to work and i can now here that the fuel pump runs (a short while after turning the key). I dont think fuel is the problem. Did a new scan today and have no codes so i have to do some trial and errors. The whole ignition is newish with all MSD included the 6AL multispark module. A new ignition controller was installed at the same time. First i have to find a way to buy-pas the 6AL to see if that is the problem. Then a new coil and controller. Just hope the MSD opti is not the problem, a pain to remove and install. The last thing is the ECM but with no codes this is working blind. Service Engine light is on when i turn the key but cant remember if it stays until car is running or it went dark after a while with the ignition on before. Any ideas please shout.

Used this morning to go through all connections in the ignition system. The plug connecting the MSD harness to the om harness had somehow worked itself open. Looked connected but when i pulled to check it parted. I reconnected and made sure tabs on the connector was seated and tried to start. Started first try and after a rough initial start due to to much petrol it setteled to a even idle. I am now a very happy man, replacing the opti is a nasty job. Thanks for all help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom