Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1995 Center Vent Screws a B_tch!

compyelc4

Corvette
'95 LT1 Coupe, Comp Yell; C6 Roadster, Vel Yell
I'm trying to get to my LWPS lamp to remove it. I sold my wheel speed sensors so I'm sick of watching the LWPS light glow. For the life of me I can't get the center vent screws to budge. GM must have had an ape drive those in. I need to remove these to pull the vent in order to remove the upper right Accessory Trim Plate screw, then the DIC itself. I think I used the correct torx bit but the first screw was in so tight I rounded it out with a 3/8" drive ratchet! Yes, it is in that tight!!! So are the other dash screws. So now I'm going to try a 1/4" drive socket around the little bugger. I think that is my last choice. Does anyone know what size hex socket the torx screw takes? I believe it may be metric but not sure because my 1/4" sockets are just a bit too large in diameter to fit inside the recessed screw hole. If I know the socket size then I can look for a thinner wall socket.

Just checked my 95 & it's a Torx #15. Them buggers are tight, but workable.

Don't know what to tellya. You try a #15 & gently tap it with a small hammer. If your lucky it may seat.

I'm trying to get to my LWPS lamp to remove it. I sold my wheel speed sensors so I'm sick of watching the LWPS light glow. For the life of me I can't get the center vent screws to budge. GM must have had an ape drive those in. I need to remove these to pull the vent in order to remove the upper right Accessory Trim Plate screw, then the DIC itself. I think I used the correct torx bit but the first screw was in so tight I rounded it out with a 3/8" drive ratchet! Yes, it is in that tight!!! So are the other dash screws. So now I'm going to try a 1/4" drive socket around the little bugger. I think that is my last choice. Does anyone know what size hex socket the torx screw takes? I believe it may be metric but not sure because my 1/4" sockets are just a bit too large in diameter to fit inside the recessed screw hole. If I know the socket size then I can look for a thinner wall socket.

I had the same problem and did the same thing, removed the bulb. It takes a longish torx head bit (even a star bit might work) to remove the screws. With the correct bit, my screws (96 LT1) came out easily.

Jake

I have some CRC Freeze-Off super penetrant. I wonder if that would help get them lose. It works like the name implies, makes the part very cold. ;shrug
Something that might work is a hair dryer. Plastic expands at a far greater rate than metal when heated, that just might loosen the screws.

Glenn
:w

Thanks for the replies guys. What I found was a Torx #15 is indeed the correct one. Having buggered that one up my only hope was a socket. I found the correct size by accident. I peered into the recessed hole and decided the bolts was not centered. I pushed hard on the socket while lifting up the plastic air outlet assembly a bit. Viola, I felt the socket slip on to the screw head and the rest is history. Still had to use a 3/8" drive socket to remove the little mutha.

Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom