Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1996 Intake Air Temperature Sensor Relocation

gms

Corvette
1996 Purple Convertible
I bought a Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Relocation kit from Corvette Central. The instructions say to mount the new sensor where fresh circulating ambient air can be found.

The new sensor has a bracket that will need 2 small holes drilled to mount. Can someone give me a good sensor location for a 96 LT1?

Thanks

(snip)Can someone give me a good sensor location for a 96 LT1?

Thanks

In the stock location.

With respect to any long-term performance gain, IAT relocation is not likely to be of much value.

Where IAT relocation can be an "advantage" is during hot soak situations, where the air intake assembly get warmer than ambient.

What IAT relocation really does is trick the engine controls into thinking the temperature of the intake air charge is lower than it actually might be. By doing that, you decrease the amount of spark retard the ECM dials in when the intake charge gets hot and the engine is more prone to detonation.

But...back to the OP question.

If you want the maximum results from IAT relocation, add an extension harness then put the sensor behind the front license plate.

Last edited:
Only place it might help is at the drag strip and the engine heat soaks between runs. Then again I open my hood for a reason.

That being said, I've ran data logs on my 93 on hot summer days and saw ZERO spark retard at ALL throttle positions on 93 octane fuel. If its not pulling timing on a 90+ degree day with the IAT in the stock location, I doubt you will find any measurable performance benefit other than a lighter wallet.

I agree with Hib, put it behind the license plate if you want good air flow or inside the radiator shroud in front of the condenser.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom