Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1996 LT1 Automatic will not shift into high gear

jad9943

Corvette
1996 Collector Edition LT1
Can anyone give me a starting point as to why my 96 LT1 automatic will not shift into high gear. I have changed both solonoids in the transmission. I have googled this problem. No one seems to have an answer. It will sometimes shift into high but most times not.

Have you verified that the torque converter is not locking up? I ask because sometimes people assume it's not going into 4th when it is in 4th but not locking up. When it locks, it's like an upshift.

Have you verified that the torque converter is not locking up? I ask because sometimes people assume it's not going into 4th when it is in 4th but not locking up. When it locks, it's like an upshift.

I was wondering about the TCC solenoid as well.

"Trhao" and "Boomdriver" are right.

Make sure it's really 4th gear and not the TCC.

Well...if you have a good feel for the car you can road test. If the TCC is working you should feel a "fifth shift" when the TCC locks up. Also, you can try manually shifting from D to OD and see if you feel a shift. Once you do that, you should feel (and see on the tach) when the TCC locks.

Otherwise you need a scan tester which indicates which gear the trans is in and if the TCC is enabled.

A trans shop ought to be able to diagnose it for you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom