Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1996 Lt1 Starting Problem

E

eric momberger

car has been in storage with little use. 1700 miles. doesn't always start on the first try. starter good,battery takes a charge.any ideas why this is happening?

If the car is being stored for long periods of time, are you using a fuel stabilizer in the gas tank?

gas stabilizer

ive been driving the car recently with no problems but the starting one. i'll probably store it again in december and use the stabilizer if recommended

Re: gas stabilizer

eric momberger said:
ive been driving the car recently with no problems but the starting one. i'll probably store it again in december and use the stabilizer if recommended

If you store the car for an extended period of time, (one month plus) I highly recommend the use of a fuel stabilizer. Todays fuels are very unstable. Also, keep the fuel tank filled before placing it in storage.

96 starting problem cont'd

the caar doesn't start at all on first try. nothing. starts right up pn second try. happens every so often, not on regular basis.

questions, please

HI there,
First off, do you have a check engine light on the vehicle??????
Second, has anyone serviced your car recently??
When the car finally starts, do you see any smoke out of the back of the car, and do you smell anything, like gas??
Please let us know, c4c5

no warning or check engine light comes on. last month i had the oil changed but no other servicing. no smoke out the back and no gasoline smell. just no start on first try.

Ok, the next move I believe would be to check the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge.
A vehicle that sits as much as this, may have a bad vane in the pump, so this should be your next course of action, because if you were NOT getting spark, you would see black smoke, or light gray smoke out of the exhaust on initial startup, due to fuel loading in the cylinders.
Best , c4c5

hey c4c5 -

you mentioned something about gas smelling smoke kicking out the pipes when the car is started; my 87 coupe does that all the time. i thought the engine was just old. is it something else that can be fixed??

Kev

lunar said:
...smoke kicking out the pipes when the car is started; my 87 coupe does that all the time.

lunar, it's probably the valve seals; not the guides, the seals. A lot of Chevy engines did this, my truck did it when it was brand-new in '88. My '87 Corvette does it after it's been running, then sitting awhile , then re-starting. If it sits overnight, there's usually not that much smoke.

The General changed the style of the seal sometime... (?) It's something that can be fixed without removing the heads, if you're thinking of repairing it.

Hi LUnar,
Well, Ken is right on the money here, as the exhaust valve stem seals do break away after time, and the oil that drains down the valve stem ignites, when the first few fires occur.
However, you may also have leaking fuel injectors, which are common on your model.
You can confirm this, by checking your fuel pressure drop, once the flexible lines are pinched off.
This takes the fuel pump and pulsator out of the loop, and if any leakage is present, it will be an injector.
Let us know how you make out, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom