Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st Road trip

tamashane

Corvette
2002 convertible
Ok, took my wife on our first road trip in the 'Vette. We went to Dallas for the weekend. 400 miles round trip. Not too far, but far enough to see how she (the car) does on the highway. Traveling a little above the posted speed limit, she handles great and the gas millage was also great. 185 miles on a quarter of a tank of fuel. Some of my friends were asking me when I bought it, why would I want such a rough riding car? Well I have some news for them, for a sports car this thing rides like a dream, handles great and looks killer! I could not be happier with any other car. Top down all the way and tunes turned up. Next trip is planned for October to the Smokey Mountains. Cannot wait to get this thing on some twisties!

I've had many similar comments about mine too. Another question I get is why I would drive such a gas hog. Most are surprised when I tell them I averaged 27mpg on our 3800 miles trip out to California this summer. 15 straight days in the car and not uncomfortable at all.

Toms, I could not agree more on how comfortable these cars are. My wife even dosed off a time or two!

My wife will sleep on a regular basis when we are on a trip. One of our trips we were in Kansas City, visiting our daughter, we were outside with the car and one of her neighbors comes out and starts talking to us and said "How can you sit in that car for hours on end?" My wife answered her, "It's like sitting in my Lazy-boy. It's very comfortable." :) People just don't understand.

The most comfortable Vette I've owned was a C5 with the standard seats and the suspension set to touring. It was a dream ride.

I agree my 96 was great on a long trip. I drove 1100 miles straight just stopping for gas and personal breaks. The car performed flawlessly at one point averaging over 30 mpg over a 300 mile stretch and 27.8 for the whole trip. I was more comfortable than in my 2010 Equinox LTZ. People don't understand this and are surprised when its told to them. Ready for the 400 mile trip to Carlisle.

You just gotta love a car that will go 0-60 mph in under 5 seconds, and still gets 30 mpg on the highway...! :thumb I once drove my '04 convertible from Waco to San Antonio and back (~200 miles each way), then another 50+ miles around Waco on one tank of gas...! Even around town, my C5 gets as good or better gas mileage than my '97 GMC Jimmy...! And even my 80-year-old father agrees that the C5 is a comfortable car to drive...!

Same deal here. My wife and I took my '98 coupe to St. Louis last week. First time we really put it on the road for an extended ride. Only about 300+ miles round trip but loved it. Especially in traffic when I needed to scoot over a lane or 2. Ask it to scoot quickly, down shift and it scoots. Nice ride, handled great, comfortable ride and great on the gas. Only thing I didn't like..............valet parking.............dropping it off and then watching the valet bring it back.

That is one of the great things about my Corvettes (all three that I have owned), and that is when I ask it to go, I just point it the direction I want to go and hit the throttle and it goes. And on top of that get middle to upper 20s MPG while doing it. My 3800 mile trip to California this summer saw us average 27 mpg with the cruise set at 75-85 mph and lots of stop and go miles as well. How many 175 mph cars car do that? Corvettes are the best sports car value on the planet.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom