Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st time on a dyno...

soggytaco said:
I think that is great your looking at like 405 HP at the crank. What did you think you would see.

Thx, I was hopin' for like 350ish...

Another day, another dyno. ;)

This dyno seems to be a little on the conservative side. I figured you'd see more HP also.

If you try another dyno, don't make any changes before hand so you will know how the dynos differ.

Aurora40 said:
Have you ever hit the dragstrip?

No, but have definite plans to do so before the summer heat sets in.

Tuna said:
This dyno seems to be a little on the conservative side. I figured you'd see more HP also.

If you try another dyno, don't make any changes before hand so you will know how the dynos differ.

Yeah, like I said some of the C5 guys were pretty surprised w/ their low #'s.
An LS1 w/ exhaust & CAI should avg better than 305rwhp right?

I'm not changing a thing and will hit another dyno in a week or two tops...

I mean the #'s aren't bad but....I'd like a comparison.

Congrats on the dyno run. Now you have a baseline and the real modding will begin!! :D

Jim

Jeff,

Those are very strong numbers. Hey, you've got more at the wheels than I have at the flywheel! :L

JEFNLSA said:
332.0 rwhp
319.7 rwTORQUE! ;)

My 1st run was 328rwhp

Damn these glasses s*ck!:L

JEFNLSA said:
An LS1 w/ exhaust & CAI should avg better than 305rwhp right?
Not necessarily -- if it's an automatic, the correction factor would be 18%. So divide 305 by .82 and you get 372 at the crank. Aren't the LS1's rated @ 345 crank HP? If so, 27 HP from the exhaust and CAI would be pretty good, I'd think. Even using 15% (6-spd. correction, I'm told) you would be looking at a 13 HP gain at the crank.

And, assuming the 15% correction for your M6, seems that 390 at the crank is pretty good for an NA car with relatively conservative mods.

onyx c4 said:
Not necessarily -- if it's an automatic, the correction factor would be 18%.
I think 18% is being optimistic. The numbers I've heard from variouos dyno owners and including a former LPE engine builder, automatics knock off about 25% from the flywheel and manuals around 20-22%.

If all the numbers for the day seemed low, it could be the calibration of the dyno. Also it depends on atmospheric conditions. Though typically, the Dynojets compensate in the numbers for that.

If you are going to another dyno in town, try to make sure it's another dynojet. Other dynos, such as Mustang brand will tend to give different numbers for the same car.

Also, your car shoulda been run 3 times. The 3rd is almost always the best run. The first one gets the car ready to go and loosens up the built up carbon. The second run gives a relative baseline while blowing out the loosened carbon, and the thrid run is then usually the money shot.

I'm kinda coming to the opinion that while dyno numbers are good for determining the effectiveness of your mods, the real money is on the street/track. All the power in the world ain't no good if you can't get it to stick to the blacktop! However, you can surely equate in a general sense better numbers to expected better track times.

I plan on hitting the dyno before I cruise down to CruiseFest so I have a baseline for BeechBend drag strip. Plus, I did some carb tweaks in the fall and I need to see if I've recovered some lost power.

Oh yeah, as far as your RPM cutoff, the dyno guy should be able to tell that after the first run without you having to tell him. Typically, as soon as a the power starts to drop off on the chart, that's when the stop the run. There's no point in running the car harder when HP ceases to increase.
Also, the reason that the dyno operator runs the car is for consistency across the various runs and the runs between various cars. It's just a way to keep a constant. (And the liabilities that would come with having you behind the wheel, especially as a self-proclaimed newbie. :) )

Thx for the info gents...;)

My next run will once again be on a Dynojet. There's another dyno shop near my home that has a 3 for $60 deal.

JEFNLSA said:
There's another dyno shop near my home that has a 3 for $60 deal.
That's a real good price!!! The norm is around $75 for 3 pulls...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom