Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st to 4th Light

J

jody746

I read the manuel, and it said this is for better MPG. It pops up a little too often, and this makes the shifter feel as though it has to go to 4th. How can I bypass this function? If I get aggressive with it , I don,t want it to control my shift from 1st to 4th. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Please Advise , Thanks.

Hi,

It's called "CAGS" or "Computer Aided Gear Selection". It is meant to improve gas mileage. Given certain parameters such as gear selection (only happens in 1st), speed, and throttle position, CAGS causes 2nd and 3rd gear to be locked out, forcing a 1st to 4th upshift. The theory is that by lowering RPMs, fuel consumption is reduced.

It is annoying and can be disconnected. Companies like MidAmerica and Ecklers carry a CAGS plug seal kit.

After finding more info on this. Its seems the cags light will come on, if I use the cags plug kit. Is that correct?

Yes, the light will still come on, but the solenoid will not lock out second and third. And, if you use kits, no codes will be set.

First mod on my car, I got 6 speed to shift on my own, hated car telling me when/how to shift. Besides in some left turns from light it can be downright dangerous !

I bought one from Ecklers for my 96 vert. The light does still come on momentarily but it doesn't force me to 4th. This may or may not increase the cars gas mileage but with the CAGS working it for sure increases my internal gas. I hate the thing, love the by-pass part from Ecklers.

Yeah....I didn't like the Shift 1-4 light either -- but I got used to it. It only appears to come on and block second when your taking it 'easy' through the gears. (and if your taking it easy -- I am not sure how much your really saving on fuel by going from 1 to 4) If ya jump on it --- you shouldn't have any problems. I know I haven't.

Quick question...

Anyone know if the Z06's are equipped with CAGS? I know that's a Z06 forum question, but I didn't want to start a thread while this is active...

Thanks,

This was the first mod I did to my car. It is simple and there is plenty of places to get advice as to how to do it yourself. If you don't have access to a lift, for about $30 ( parts & labor ) you can have it done.

Z06's have it.

Let me rephrase that: Z06's come with it from the factory.

Just put the bypass harness on tonite, took no more than 15 minutes to back the car up some ramps, and plug the device in. Best $18 accessory I ever bought!

Is it easier to install if you back the car on or did you do that to keep the front from rubbing?

Only needed to lift rear to get to the tranny, front end stayed on the ground and there was plenty of room for me to slide under. Front end was about 1.5 to 2 inches from hitting floor with the rear end on the ramps.

Thanks, hopefully I'll get around to doing it this weekend.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom