Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 2001 Covertible Top tries to blow off at 90+

Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Convertible
Hello All,
New to this forum and new to Corvettes ! I purchased a 2001 Convertible and when I passed a couple of Big Rigs at high speed the top started coming up on the drivers side and I could see daylight. If I pulled down on the latch handle a bit everything was better.
Any advise would be welcome. It is too cold here in Ohio right now to run with the top down and 70MPH does get boring. LOL

Thank You

SilverSurfer2001

All is well

The latch for my top was not fully engaged and was letting the top lift a little at speed. Snapped it fully closed and all is well. The latch was hidden by the visor and until I had better light I didn't see it wasn't latched correctly. I hope any other problems I have are remedied as easily. Next is auto trans fluid and filter at transmission shop as I have no lift .

My 89 convertible would top out at 152 and I never had a issue with it lifting.

Bet that woke you right up..... In 12 years and over 150,000 miles, can't say that it was ever an issue for me. Not sure what the latches on a C5 look like but it was easy to see in my C4 if they weren't locked and secure. Had to double check the wife's side as with her arthritis, she sometimes couldn't push them in to the lock position. Have to admit that I do like the power top on my current convertible.

It only came up an inch and I could see light through it. I only had 3 days and 50 miles on C5's when I had this issue. I had replaced the plastic clips that hold the visors in the center the previous day and must have dropped that latch down. The next morning in good light it was easy to see . If you look at a C5 you will see the latches are well hidden by the visors. Don't you still have to latch power tops ? You did on a C6 I looked at . Took it up to 95 yesterday ( State Troopers were everywhere ) and smooth sailing.

My top is all hydraulic. The latching is part of the process.

I finally put my toy away for the winter, it doesn't like ice/snow at all. Insurance is in winter mode so no high speed runs for a while for me. Oh well, Spring will arrive in a few months...

HA . Well that would be hard to forget . Us poor folk have to ( most of the time ) remember to latch our tops .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom